2 1/2 year old putting hands/objects in mouth constantly!

Is this normal? Does your 2 year old do it? I'm confused as to why he's started doing this. It started about 2-3 weeks ago. (I did have a new baby nearly 6 weeks ago)...he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth! Any toys he's holding, anything. If there's no toy in his hand, then literally ALL 4 fingers go in his mouth. Its so gross, especially at this time of year where germs are prevalant. What's up?? Is there a reason? How do I get him to stop?

luvr4ula

Asked by luvr4ula at 1:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine don't but maybe it is the new baby
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• or hes just trying to get your attention some times i ask my 2yr old if she wants to do this or that and shell just stare a hole threw me and not say a word drives me up the wall lol
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 1:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• One of my 26 mos old twins has been doing this lately too (no new baby in our house). He has all his teeth so I know he's not teething. Not really sure why he does it but I suspect it's similar to why kids suck their thumb or use a paci (though mine never either of those). I just remind him "no mouth" and he stops. I'm sure it's just a phase and they'll grow out of it.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• MY SON IS 29 MONTHS AND HE DOES IT. I THINK ITS CUZ HE WAS SO USE TO HE PACI THAT HE MISSES THE COMFORT OF SOMETHING GOING INTO HIS MOUTH..
    DEVYNSMOM143

Answer by DEVYNSMOM143 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Usually around 2 - 2 1/2 children stop putting everything in their mouth. If your child has recently started this behavior it may be related to the new baby.

Everyone coo's and go's crazy over new babies, he's probably jealous and looking for attention. He sees the things the baby does and gets attention and most likely mimics the baby's "cute" behavior.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sophia does this every once in a while (with her hands). I tell her "nasty" and she takes them out. Then when I see her doing it again, I'll give her the *look* and she'll take them out and say "nasty". So she knows she's not supposed to do it. Maybe it's a phase...who knows. But I definitely correct the bad behavior when I see it.

mom2sophia711

Answer by mom2sophia711 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2009