Do you think this is fair?

My ex has decided to buy a condo and rent it to my youngest son. My oldest who has been living on his own and struggling for 3 almost 4 years is very upset about this. I personally wouldn't have done this but I do feel this is unfair to the oldest. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• It may not be fair, but life isn't fair. Your eldest will spend some time being pissed, but he will get over it. Don't feed into the drama. Your son needs to handle this on his own.

PS, your ex sounds like a dick.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 7:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I don't think this is enough info to really say. Is your ex the father of both sons? Why is the oldest struggling? What is going on in the youngest son's life that would make Dad do this?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I'd let the ex handle all that drama. The oldest needs to direct all the anger. angst, hurt, venting to his dad. You need to step back and let them work it out.
    And no, its not fair; but life isn't many times.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• They both work for their dad at their dads shop. The youngest wants to move out of my house and be on his own. The oldest barely covers his rent etc. If the oldest had this opportunity he would save approx $330 a month. And yes the same dad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• I agree let them handle the drama. I'm trying to stay out of it. Ex said maybe I should buy a condo for the oldest problem solved. HA!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Fair, no, but it's really between your older son and his father. They're both adults, so let them work it out between them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Well, given that additional information, no it really doesn't sound fair. But...you didn't do this, so you shouldn't have to deal with it. Daddy opened this can of worms, so Daddy needs to try to catch them all and put a new lid on it.

Although, if you do want to get involved to any degree....my way of doing so would be to suggest to my sons that they move into the condo together and split the rent and bills - then they both save lots of money and Dad looks silly. :D
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Well wouldn't the smart thing for the boys to do is move in together, split rent and save even more money.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Truthfully your EX can do what he want. Even if it is not fair.

Answer by louise2 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Agree with Mrs. Harsh, but you did say RENT, NOT LIVE there for free right? Dad might just barge in any time he feels like it, and I have no idea what kind of business your ex has, but perhaps older son needs a raise or a new job? I would offer to allow older son back in your home, so he could save and buy is own condo,, I think your ex wants to stick it to you,,LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2012