frustrated!!

my one month old will cries unless he is being held. He will fall asleep in my arms and no matter how gentle I lay him in his bassinet he will wake up screaming in a matter of minutes!! What can I do to stop this??

ekerazy78

Asked by ekerazy78 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a baby sling and "wear" him. My family calls this a holding baby. he wants to be held. Remember that a month ago he was never cold, never alone, it was never quiet and he never had a wet diaper. The world is big and scary for babies.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Welcome to my world : /

It could be a number of things. Have you made sure he's fed, changed, burped, etc? If you've done everything you can think of...maybe he's colicky or maybe he just wants to be held close. My daughter (one month old too) is going through this phase...it takes her forever to fall asleep in her crib but she'll go right to sleep in my arms. She doesn't sleep well in the baby carrier, otherwise I'd have her in it all the time. O.o
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Is there a reason for crying? Is he cold, hot, hungry, wet? At one month old he could be a bit gassy and bloated. Try bicycling his legs to push any air out.

Remember, babies have spent 9 months in the womb, some babies take longer to adjust to life outside of the womb: where they need to learn to adjust to temp changes, and stimuli the have never experienced. They were rocked, carried, and kept snug for 9 months so it's easy to see why some babies want to be held all the time.

You can get "Happiest Baby on the Block". I have heard it's a good book. I wore my baby in a sling at that age though, so I could still function because my daughter was very high-needs and intense.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• a 1 month old should never be left to cry it out. the baby is 1, he is crying for a reason. It's a babies only form of communication. the child isn't manipulating you, he needs something.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You cannot spoil a baby at that age. My daughter was the same way and 2 different pediatricians told me the same thing. Once they turn around 6 months they told me I could start gradually letting her cry, first a couple minutes, then 5, etc...Eventually your child figures it out
    Alexmygirl

Answer by Alexmygirl at 2:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son did the same thing!! I swear for the first two months I could NEVER put him down. While asleep or awake. I just kept trying to give him to other people to hold so he'd get to know it was ok to not be in my arms. Once he was about 3 - 4 months it just stopped. Now at 6months old he seems to want to be in his bouncer more than in my arms.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 2:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• please, don't let your 1 month old cry it out!

try laying down with your baby and gently rolling away once they are asleep.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Maybe your putting him down to soon. Hes only a month old..why are your complaining? I mean if you got other kids running around thats a different story. But come on...baby comes first and anything else could wait till the baby falls deep asleep. hehe Aww...i miss them days my baby will 2 next month. Have you tried a baby swing or bouncer?
    Anonymous

• Do you swaddle him? They like to be snug. You can buy special swaddling blankets or use a regular one.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 3:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I used to sleep with his p.j.'s, blanket, whatever I wanted put him to bed with, in my pillow case to use the following night so that is has your scent. Baby's know their momma's smell, and it is calming to them. We used a heartbeat bear too, that sounds like a heart beat. We attached it to the outside of the crib to prevent SIDS. It helps to have some sort of white noise in the background. Music playing softly, or a small fan (low and far away from the baby) can help too. If you are worried about electrical fires use battery opperated music players or have your outlets tested.
    BaByNoAhsMoMma

Answer by BaByNoAhsMoMma at 3:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2009