my 6 years old son doesn't want to listen. You can ask him not to do a certain thing because it is very dangerous , and a few second he does it. he is driving me crazy. I punished him take away his TV time make him goes to his room. Today he push me to my limit that I cream at him very loud. please tell me what else to do

mes3enfants

Asked by mes3enfants at 10:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First of all, apologize when he wakes up tomorrow. Say that you don't want to scream at him, and shouldn't have done so, and are sorry.

But, try and explain why things are dangerous, for example, don't run into the street, because you are shorter than a car's windshield, and come drivers are going fast, maybe even talking on a phone, and they may not see you, if you fall down... You couild get hit and be very hurt.

If you catch him in the street, then he should definately have a consequence, such as losing the ball or bike he was playing with, for a day or more.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• We have actually started implementing punishments that make a muscle hurt when they aren't doing as they should be. We have gone to holding books with arms straight out for anywhere from 1-3 min depending on the infraction (makes the arms sore and they think about that sore muscle when they are going to do something that gets them in trouble again). We are also using the invisible chair...again makes the thighs sore. These punishments seem to get the point across vs. taking privileges away at our house.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2012

• Have him tested. That is a clear indication of ADD/ADHD. They have a hard time with boundaries and they don't understand about safety. My son would run into the local street without looking to get the ball. Thank goodness we live on a quiet street. It took a while and some social skills for him to learn and understand.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:51 AM on Jun. 12, 2012

• Thank you all for those wonderful advises. I will talk to his doctor regarding the ADD. What I do not understand is, if he is ADD why he is a straight A student. I really do not know .
    mes3enfants

Comment by mes3enfants (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jun. 12, 2012

• Sounds like there may be some issues that have gone on too long. You can start now. He needs to know that you mean business when you say something, without that "fear" he will continue to push your buttons.

Screaming at a child does nothing. They are just glad to get you upset. Talk to him maturely and calmly from now on. Let him know you mean business and start being more in-control. He needs a confident mother and he will treat you more respectfully.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2012