can my BF clam me on his taxes? He has been taking care of me but I worked up until april then stoped can he still clam me?

We have kids together also.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Not unless you have a disability or he is your "official" caregiver. If you live together, you may be able to file together and claim common law marriage, but that varies by state.He can claim your kids, though if you make less than him, it's probably in your best interest to claim them, as you'll probably get more money, but I'm not 100% sure how that works.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Maybe. You need to talk to a tax person.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I dont think he can claim you because you are not a dependent, I think you can file together....call h&r block or a place like that and ask
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I see. Thank you.
    oh one more this may shound dumb for asking this but we had a child this month we can't claim him till next year right?
    Anonymous

• Right, can't claim the kid til next year.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He can claim your kids as a dependents, but in order for him to claim you on his taxes as "head of household" you couldn't have worked any in 2008. So you will have to file seperately, and he would claim the kids as dependents and then you may qualify for EIC (Earned income credit) for the children as well.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• thank you again.
    Anonymous

• It depends on a few things. The poster before me is wrong. If he supported you for more than 6 months out of the year then he can claim head of household (which is him claiming you & the kids.. My hubby did this before we were married) or if you are under 18 or turned 18 last yr then he can claim you.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• That's not necessarily true. My son and I moved in with my parents when I seperated from my now ex-husband. I started working again in August part time and since I made under $3,000 they can claim me as a dependent this year. So, ask your tax professional, he may be able to claim you!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Lizafur! YOUR RUDE! You didn't have to state "oh their wrong" just give your advice.
    Anonymous