H&R Block...

Anyone else think they are a total rip-off? They aren't even "tax proffessionals"! They get like 6 weeks of training lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I stopped going to them when I had to tell the guy how to do my taxes. I used H&R Block online last year and I used TaxAct this year.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yep I worked there as a receptionist a few years ago and we got so many complaints it was not even funny. They charge so much just do a online program for free next year use your 2008 as a referance. And they wanted me to prepare taxes with no training at all.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 2:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i dont like them i went ot jackson hewwitt this time and they were pretty good way better than h and r block
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Unfortunately, the IRS has created such a tax system that requires many people to have their tax returns prepared for them. The IRS changes difficult laws and even their more common areas like dependency and standard deductions almost yearly. Good for all the folks that can do their returns for themself. I applaud you!! But for the other gazillions of people who feel like they are unable to file correctly if they did it themself, there are the paid preparers. These people take hours upon hours (whether they are Jackson Hewitt or Block, or anyone else.)

Yes, it is definitely cheaper to do your own return. Do a free return online for that matter if your income is lower. Don't pay for something that you can do yourself. But for the rest of the folks that need that help, thankfully there are paid preparers.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well i think it's a rip off to go and have them do your taxes. But I do my own on their website and paid $24 for state and federal, efile and all. Not too bad. I don't have other people do my taxes.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I do. Either do your own taxes or if you have so many forms and lots of write offs, then take them to a local CPA with credentials.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Complete rip off, preying on the lower income people who want their cash fast.....no matter what the interest rate is.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 3:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Fordmomma, that would be against the law so I'm certain that no one literally suggested you prepare returns for paying clinets, not to mention that you would not have a preparer EIN that is required.

You could use a CPA but companies like Block, Hewitt, and Liberty do not charge near as much as a CPA.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 3:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I had nothing but great experiences with HR Block..Im usually in and out in less than an hour and the fees are not too bad.jmo.
    HealthyMom27

Answer by HealthyMom27 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2009