Im worried about a lump on my daughters wrist.

We discovered it right before Xmas & so i made an appointment for the dr right away. So we went & the dr said she is ok & that it is just a cyst on her wrist. The dr said if it gets bigger or starts to bother her we can have it removed but it would be like surgery. It doesnt bother my daughter on less u press on it hard. But it worries me because its a spot that if she falls it can get hit ...plus its very noticeable. Am i paranoid??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes, you are. They are called ganglion cysts and they are very common. I have one on the top of each wrist and the one of the right I had removed because it was sitting on a nerve. There is a 10% chance that it will reoccur and sure enough it came back. This one is much smaller though. The surgical procedure is expensive and annoying and unless its really bothering her, don't do it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i have one on my wrist bone it doesnt bother me everyonce in a bluemoon it gets really itchy but it has been there for years if doc isnt worried i wouldnt be either
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I also have one. It doesn't usually bother me. The doc told me I could get it removed but it would probably come back so I just didn't see the point. Even when it gets bumped against something it doesn't really hurt for long. I would try not to worry too much about it.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh it does hurt if it gets hit, but it also is how they dispel. If it gets hit really hard, it will pop it and then its done, no surgery needed. They used to remove them that way back a long time ago. Its not dangerous to hit it, but it is uncomfortable.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I had one. When I was in first grade it slowly went away. No big deal.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my daughter had one. our biggest concerns were sugery, and cancer. if she needed sugery, it would have been very risky. it was positioned right next to a main artery. if nicked she would bleed to death. the specialist also was able to shine a light on it. he said it was transparent. if it had not been it would have ment cancer. it went away 2 1/2 years later. ask the doctor.
    annimol13

Answer by annimol13 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009