How many words should my toddler be saying? He is 22 months

My little one stays at home with me all day and is with his dad during the evening. I am pregnant now, and still having morning sickness all day. So, I feel like reading to him and pointing things out to him have been low priority. I would love to say that he probably can say around 100 words and a couple of 2 to 3 word sentences. Mainly what we say, " Get down" "that's mommas" etc
I have about four weeks left until I hit my golden trimester..thank goodness. then I could possibly get back to myself and routine again. I just feel like I have been lacking very much.

mommybetts

Asked by mommybetts at 2:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I WOULDNT WORRY IT SOUNDS LIKE HES DOING FINE. PLUS WHEN HE SEES THE BABY COME HE WILL WANT 2 BE A BIG BROTHER AND YOU WILL SO HOW MUCH HE LEARNS AND GAINS FROM IT. MY SON IS ALOMST THREEE AND HE HAS A VERY BIG VOCABULARY, PLUS I NEVER TALKED BABY TO HIM, I ALWAYS SPOKE 2 HIM LIKE AN ADULT AND I USE BIG WORDS. THIS AGE IS THE AGE WERE THE REPEAT EVERYTHING SO JUST RELAX MOMMY YOUR DOING A WONDERFUL JOB!!
    DEVYNSMOM143

Answer by DEVYNSMOM143 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sounds like he's doing fine. It's been a while since I've read up on it, but I seem to recall the Pediatrician wanted at least 50 clear words by 2 yrs old. Some kids have more. Some have a bit less. If he's communicating and adding to his list of what he says AND comprehends, then no worries!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You would "love to say" he can say that much or he DOES say that much? If he does say that much he's doing very well!

Two year olds should be able to say at least 50 words and use 2-3 word phrases...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He sounds fine.
    By 24 months, doctors like to see the beginning of 2 to 3 word phrases. Some kids that age speak in sentences and some perfectly normal kids still say only a couple of words. If your little one is saying phrases then he's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is almost 20 months and only says mama and dada. (Which was surprising to me since my husband and I were both talking before we were 1 and no one in our families waited that long to start talking). When you said 100 words I was so shocked! I stay at home with my son too and have read to him every day since before he was born. My doctor said not to worry about the fact that he isn't saying anything because he is an only child that stays at home and he is a boy...I can't help but worry though so I guess I know where you are coming from, but from my perspective your son is really advanced! Are you worried that he is behind or do you just feel bad that you aren't reading to him as much?
    Aimee139

Answer by Aimee139 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009