why doesn't my 6 month old won't sleep through the night?

He usually goes to sleep just fine. But lately he's been waking up in the middle of the night, several times, not to eat though. I try to feed him and he doesn't want it. He wakes up, cries and when i go over to him he cries more. Once i pick him up he stops and falls RIGHT back to sleep. Any ideas as to why he might be doing this?

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 2:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he teething? My baby was sleeping fine until he started teething and is now waking up crying also.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 2:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• When you find out! I need my 6 months old son to sleep thru the night, too.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He is teething, but he has never slept through the night. Even before the teeth. And he actually doesn't act any different during the day because of the teeth. Only at night. When he naps during the days he's totally fine.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• How does he fall asleep to start the night? If he's falling asleep in your arms or while eating, it could be that he's waking up and not able to self-soothe back to sleep. Thus he cries, you pick him up, he's got his soothing mechanism and drifts off.

Check out the book called "No Cry Sleep Solution." You can help him learn to soothe himself to sleep at the start of the night. Then if he wakes during the night (which, honestly, we all do to some degree or another) he'll be able to rely on that instead of needing help.

Also remember that teething will impact him differently at night then during the day. Same with ear infections - there's something about lying down that makes it worse. My kids were always in worse pain with their teeth at night than during the day!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Ive heard of that book before. He starts out feeding...but when i put him down to sleep in his crib he wakes a little bit, sticks his thumb in his mouth and goes right back to sleep. He has put himself to sleep before with his thumb.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 2:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My dd started sleeping throgh the night at 4 weeks, and around 5 and half months started waking up several times crying. She isn't really hungry, and she self soothes to sleep. I was so proud of myself when I figured it out a few days ago...for my dd, her problem was the amount of light in her room. I noticed when I took her into my room which is darker, she called down and fell asleep, but woke up as soon as we went back to her room. I turned off her night light and she went straight back to sleeping through the night. Kinda weird, but it worked for us!
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• hmm i'm glad you figured that out! Riley (my son) sleeps in the same room as me and its usually pretty dark...only enough light to kinda see your way around. Im sorry if it seems like I'm dismissing everyones answers, I'm not trying to. I'm just trying to add as much information as I can to see if i can figure this thing out.
    MomCakes

Answer by MomCakes at 2:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Babies wake in the middle of the night. It's perfectly normal.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Even though the teeth may not bother him in the day, they may at night. Have you ever had a small injury of some sort not slow you down in the day but keep you from getting to sleep? I have. With all the "to do's" shut down for the day, with nothing to see or do, that little annoyance takes up a lot more space in the brain. That may be what is happening to him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Around that age they go through a bit of separation anxiety where they wake up and realize you aren't there. Go in cover your baby back up whisper some reassuring words and leave the room. He will probably cry and maybe cry even harder than before but it won't last long and he'll fall back to sleep before you know it. We've had to do this with our dd and it helps to have my hubby go in and do the reassuring because she expects certain things from me! :)
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009