Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can my fiance claim me on his taxes?

I didnt work at all last year. I am completely dependent on him. He is our only source of income. We live in california. Can he claim me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • You're not a spouse or a child, so I doubt it.

    Answer by Pnukey at 2:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Yes he can, he can claim you if he files "head of household" That can be used if you did not work any in the year 2008 and he was the one that supported you.

    Answer by lmh3820 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Did you live with him the entire 12 months of 2008? If no, then he cannot. If yes, he can claim you but bc you are not related, he cannot claim head of household. He would claim single and you as a dependent. But do remember that if he claims your dependency, his income should reflect to the IRS that is was truly able to support you. Feel free to ask more tax questions at our cafemom group


    Answer by lifeasinoit at 2:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Yes he can claim head of household, like the PP stated. He claimed head of household and then 1 under dependency, and any children they may have together.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Anon 2:58 The IRS rules for claiming HOH have changed. A person who qualifies as HOH must have a qualifying child or a qualifying relative. She would be neither. And if he does claim her dependency, that would give him 2, not one. LOL

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.