how to help my one year old not be jelous when new baby arrives?

i currently have a one year old son who is very much a mommys boyhe is clingy and doesnt go to others well, i just found out im pregnant agian and i was wondering how i am going to help him coup with a new baby? he wont let me touch another baby when he is around. this is going to be so complicated! any kind of suggestions will be greartly appreciated!

starfallin29

Asked by starfallin29 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Get two stuffed animals that look roughly the same only one is larger than the other. Show him the large animal and how the animal plays by itself, then bring the smaller animal and show that the large animal is curious but that it now has someone to play with. You would make other comments about how the little animal has to be treated gently at first but in time it will be big enough to play. You can tell this story every night, and after you tell the story, you explain that your son is big and he'll soon have a brother or sister just like the big animal. Don't argue or discuss beyond this. You can also get books from the library on welcoming a new sibling. As the time gets closer, speak about it matter-of-factly. When you bring the new baby home, the first thing is to hug the older child and make a fuss over him, not the baby. He'll come around. :)

Answer by Bmat at 3:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My oldest son was the same way. His brother was born when he was only 14 months old. Before baby was born, we got him a stuffed dog and called it "baby". We told him how mommy had a baby in her tummy & showed him how to rock, pet, hug, kiss, etc his baby. When brother was born he already knew when we said baby it meant to be gentle. And he's done amazing. I was really worried about breastfeeding since my oldest was such a momma's boy. But he did well!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it may sound odd but get him a baby doll lol my mother did it with my brother when she was pregnant with me and he was so cute according to her with that baby too where he learned too be nice and gentle with it he would play with it any time she was taling care of me and all
    Anonymous

• At least you have some time to get him used to the idea. Children change so much at these ages I wouldn't worry too much right now. Ask him to help out more so he feels like a big boy. That gives him something over the baby. We are having the opposite problem with my almost 3 yr old daughter...she told me and my SO that we can hold the baby after she gets her turn...lol.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Just try and include him as much as possible in whatever you can. Tell him you need his help and let him do little things around the house or for the baby that he can. Try and make him feel like he's being such a good help, and include positive reinforcing words and maybe even some special treats for good behavior. Children tend to feel jealous when they are feeling left out, so by including him it should help ease the jealously. Of course he will be a little jealous because he's not mommy's only baby anymore but this is natural and he'll grow out of it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• this is His baby!..thats how i had to go about it with my daughter..HER baby..she was never jealous of her sister.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009