Is this too much for my 6 month old?

My son wakes at like 7-7:40 every morning. He eats his normal. I breastfeed, so it's about 3-4 oz. Then at 9 he eats more before taking a short nap. Again about 3-4 oz. He wakes and plays a bit, usually taking a nap at like 11. Wakes at noon for his next feeding, which is the 3-4 oz. He usually tries to sleep for a bit longer. Then at 3 he gets his "lunch" feeding of cereal. He eats like 3-4 oz of that. At 6 he breastfeeds, again the 3-4 oz. At 9 me and my husband feed him cereal and sweet potatoes. This is 2 oz of cereal and the small jar of the potatoes. Through out the night he will eat at least twice. Now he used to only eat like 2 oz of the cereal. I'm just concerned he is eating too much! He was almost overweight at 4 months! So is he eating too much? His 6 month check up is on the 5 so I don't know his weight....

reneesloop

Asked by reneesloop at 3:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies eat alot and when he starts walking he will loose some of the weight so he is fine i wouldnt worry about it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• As long as he is eating good healthy food I think it is completely fine!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Babies know when they are full. He won't eat if he's not actually hungry. Don't worry.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My daughter is 9 months old, and around 6 months she went through this CRAZY growth spurt and it seemed like we could never feed her enough! She is very good at letting me know when she doesn't want any more food--she will turn her head and refuse to open her mouth, will start playing with something and stop paying attention to me, etc. Like the other mommies said, your baby knows how much he wants to eat. Since he is getting primarily breastmilk, he is getting excellent nutrition, and regardless of where his weight falls right now, his little body is telling him that he needs the calories. I'm sure you will see a change soon, and honestly (though I am not a doctor) I think its best to just go with it. When he begins to eat a wider variety of foods, then you might be more careful about the quantity, but for now, relax and enjoy that hungry baby! =)
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• i formula feed and i have the same deal going on with my son. let me know how much he weighs at his next appt. at my sons 6 month appt he was 19.7lbs. that was about a month and a 1/2 ago. my son usually wakes up 2xs a night. he will only take 4 ozs. at a time. no more then that. my doctor said he is just a "brat" (he said it without saying those words) haha your baby is fine, i wouldnt worry about it
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Nope. That sounds perfectly normal to me. My son, at six months was taking 5oz formula every 3-4 hours plus cereal for breakfast, small jar of food for lunch, and cereal with small jar for dinner. He woke up twice a night. He was also considered a big baby, but he is thinning out now that he is becoming more mobile and replacing some bottles with "table" food and baby food. Tristan was twenty pounds at his six-months check-up. He will even out eventually. The real worry about weight does not begin until after 1 year old according to my son's doctor, and as long as you're not force-feeding, he will be just fine.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2009