What do your kids like to do?

I take care of a 7 year old boy who doesn't like to do anything. He'll play outside and play video games but that's it. I can't get him to do crafts or color or play a board game. What can I do with him?

Deb79

Asked by Deb79 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um, that's pretty much it.

Get him interested in reading but most boys don't have a lot of "sit still" at his age.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• LEGO's.
    Hot wheel tracks.
    Build forts out of couch cushions and blankets.
    Pillow fight.
    Carpet-skating.
    Hide and seek.

Also - fold laundry, clean room, put away dishes, empty the trash! :-)
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 4:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Inside:
    Leapster
    SmartCycle
    Puzzles
    Building w/ blocks

Outside:
    Running
    Riding bikes
    Powerwheels
    Swinging
    Climbing
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 4:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Lego's
    tent building with a couple of chairs and blankets
    race cars/ hot wheels
    try comic books for reading material
    if the weather is snowy, try outside activities such a sledding, building snowmen etc...
    how about making a batch of cookies ... my gs loves to cook with me... and he is 8
    how about some dancing... goofy dancing...lol... I have taught me gs the locamotion...lol... and he thinks it's the funniest thing, but his jumping and goofy dancing keeps him active...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is almost 6 and loves doing everything from watching TV to playing with his video games (educational only) to bouncing off the walls to sititng down coloring, doing puzzles, reading, etc. He loves his legos, sports. He still plays with stuffed animals and his puppet theater. He is into any and everything.

I think the more you expose them to the more they will absorb.

NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 5:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You mean besides driving me crazy?

Reading, coloring and painting, puzzles, play-doh and acting out episodes of Spongebob
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• For outdoor fun in the snow, fill some squeeze bottles, or spray bottles with colored water and let him draw in the snow.
    Monster making, use crafting material, glue, etc and see who can make the grossest, scariest, etc.
    InsaneMommaOf6

Answer by InsaneMommaOf6 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009