• In the Spotlight:

Insurance Question- Amniocentesis or CVS- will they cover it??

I hear that insurance will cover either amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling if it is medically necessary. I was wanting to get it done for paternity testing... do you think my insurance would cover it?

If any of you are a military wife with Tricare, that would be even better...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do the amnio and get a letter saying it is needed,medically since if it is for paternity they will be a gray area for insurance coverage also since CVS is more selective genetic testing it will be harder to cover.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• call your insurance company and ask them if they cover either one. You may have to pay the dna testing yourself though.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• call your insurance company and ask them if a precertification is needed for either procedure.

if so, your dr will have to contact them with a letter of medical necessity, and it may take a few days or a week to get the procedure approved.

wait until you contact your ins company before doing either. both are risky, but the CVS will be more accurate, and you certainly don't want to do them in hopes that the ins will cover it, because sometimes if the procedure is performed before the ins company approves it, the service will be denied payment.

ask first!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I believe they will cover the test but not for the reason you want it...so get your doctor to say it is necessary and get it approved and thereya go.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I am the topic starter.... do you think my doc would really say it is med necessary for the insurance to cover it... if it isn't- if it is JUST for paternity testing ? My husband said we should try saying that downs syndrome runs in the family so we can 'test' for that... I know it is lying... but we really want to get the test done..
    Anonymous

• The doctor would be commiting insurance fraud if he/she lied to the insurance company...odds are, he/she won't be willing to lose their license over this. Doctors also have the right to drop you as a patient and report you to your insurance company if you ask them to commit fraud. I'd be very careful.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do EITHER of these for paternity testing. It's not worth the risk to your baby. Just wait until he/she is born. Then, you can have a judge order the test.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 4:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• why would you want too do a test that can put your baby a risk all doctors will tell you too wait on paternity testing till after the baby is born i know with a friend of mine after her son was born the army paid too have a paternity test done on the baby cause she was pregnant all ready before she got married so i would check and see if the military would pay for it
    Anonymous