And suddenly the world is no longer enamoured with President Obama

The "Buy American" clause in the stimulus plan has America's trading partners angry.

Do you care? Or do you think it's just too bad for them?
Are you worried about retaliatory measures?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j449b8cmh3l3wTuhE6FLrFG5twKQ

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Good idea in theory, in practice, when China starts calling in their IOU's and restricting our exports to them, time for everyone to bend over.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Our exports to China? We don't. When you go shopping next, pay attention to where each item you buy originates from.....I bet you that 95% of it was made in China. The trade agreement we have bites it big, it allows for them to flood our markets with trash and strictly limits any exporting we do to China. I say about damn time.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 4:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• We do export to China - raw materials. Not everything that's bought comes from a store.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Wow, didn't take as long as I thought it would. The man is so adept at talking out of both sides of his mouth at one time, I'm actually surprised it only took 2 weeks. Gonna be real interesting,the next 4 years.
    Anonymous

• thanks for the info..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh, I was watching the news on BBC before Christmas and they were talking about our economic downfall is making huge issues just for recyclable materials in the US and England. Because sales were predicted to be so low, China didn't need as much recyclable materials for the packaging of their goods to sell to us. So in essence, they were blaming the world's failing economy for our spending habits. Which I find interesting, because while they are all bitching about how much Americans consume, they sure are keeping up with production. Ahhh, the irony of it all.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I'm not the least bit surprised that people are starting to see through him, and that his approval rate has dropped 20% in his first week in office. The thing that blew me away is how enamored people were with him in the first place. They put him on this pedestal, expecting him to be the answer to all the country's woes.

He's not Superman, he can't do much better than previous presidents could. He's a man, with lofty ideals and false promises he can't keep.

Anonymous

• That's why his approval rating is up 1% today..He was 65 yesterday and now he's at 66%..
    Anonymous

• No surprise, it's just starting. We better put on our waders the #### is starting to get deep...

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 5:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Going to be a bumpy ride.......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009