Enough Floride?

How do you know if your toddler is getting enough floride? We can't drink our tap water and only drink bottled water. Do I need to be doing something else to make sure that my 25 month old is getting floride? If I get one of those pur water filters for the sink would it be better to use that water than the bottled water?

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 4:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I'd speak to your pediatrician. They will know about the water in your area. We recently bought a house and it's on a well/septic system. Since we'll no longer be on city water, which has flouride, the pediatrician mentioned putting my daughter on a supplement, but said we'd assess it after we move.
    Anonymous

• I would do a bit of research on fluoride. Years ago I did a study and found that fluoride could not actually be proven to prevent cavities. I also discovered that fluoride given in amounts more than the body could flush deposits the chemical in to the joints of the body. Small children have very little if at all need for cavity protection, namely b/c their teeth come in with their enamel. Now acidic drinks like juice and soda etch the teeth, which would compromise the teeth. But it still cannot be proven that fluoride is not harmful to the body. Matter of fact, when it is delivered to the dentist, the container has a cross and skull bones posted. We also see on toothpaste that children should not get more than a pea size swallowed. I wonder why? :)

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 4:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Very interesting information. I has no idea and I am definitely going to do some more research on it. Thanks!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes, lifeasinoit is correct. Flouride is not what you think. Check out the info on it. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I was told fluoride is dangerous and it would be better if people didnt use it,BUT we keep on using it anyways especially the dentist.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My daughter's doctor just prescribed her daily fluoride pills.. there is no fluoride in the water up here, so she gets it refilled once a month.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I've been a dental hygienist for more than 20 years. You can bet I have had a lot of education about fuoride and its affect on both the teeth and the body.
    In the 22 years I have been in practice, I have never seen a skull and cross bones on a bottle of fluoride that has come into the office - never. Fluoride is used in the dental hygiene dept more than any other area of the practice.
    There are several different types of fluride - Sodium Flu0ride, Acidulated Phosphate Fluoride, and Stannous Fluoride. Each have different chemical properties.
    Fluride also comes in different concentrations. In the dental office it is the most concentrated. There are prescription strength fluorides that the pharmacy carries. The least concentrated are in over the counter products.
    Fluoride has been proven to strentghen the tooth structure and prevent decay.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It is extremly rare for someone to get a lethal dose of fluoride. Fluoride is classified as a drug.
    No one ever questions when a medical doctor gives a patient a drug, yet we know when taken in large quanities the medication can be fatal.
    Many of the foods we eat also contain fluoride naturally in very small amounts.
    If you are concerned about your son getting enough fluoride - I would recommend getting an over the counter fluoride rinse- ACT is a popular brand. Once or twice a week dip his toothbrush in the rinse and brush it on his teeth.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• why is the level of fluoride so low in mothers milk?this is a good question to ask.confution between concentration and dose?water engineers might be able to control concentration most of the time.can you control control the dose we get each day between drugs/water/food/juices/baby formula mixed with fluoridated water etc?
    marypoole837

Answer by marypoole837 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009