wow i dont even know where to start

ok so my daughter is 7months old and im starting to wean her from breastfeeding and she doesnt like formula she just screams till she gets what she wants (me) can i give her cows milk or like soy milk or something or is she still to little she eats cereal fruits veggies and drinks juice so should i just really push the formula or can i give her milk?

the_shy_one

Asked by the_shy_one at 4:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would suggest you consider the option of continuing to give her breastmilk. If you can keep breastfeeding until she is 12 months old you can avoid formula or other breastmilk substitutes altogether. (BTW the AAP recommends baby is breastfed for a MINIMUM of 12 months).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It seems that I've heard they need formula for the first year. Check with your pediatrician.

Answer by Bmat at 4:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It's definitely NOT recommended but you should discuss this issue with your baby's doc. Also, just curious why you're wanting to wean her already. Formula tastes terrible to a baby used to breast milk, which is very sweet tasting.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 4:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• add a drop of karo syrup into the formula and see if you can get her to drink it like that. we had to do that with my son when we changed formulas. we only had to do it a couple times before he got used to the formula. it sweetens it up a little but if you add too much it can give her a messed up belly. a little goes a long way. hope this helps. gl
    Anonymous

• I breastfed for 4 months. I stopped early because I just couldn't produce much and it was difficult for me. I would suggest mixing your breastmilk with formula to gradually introduce it. This is what is done to introduce cows milk when changing from breastmilk or formula. If you could pump some and store enough to do this until your baby adapts to it. Cows milk is not recommended until they are a year old.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Formula for the first year. Try a different formula. I recently switched my daughter from Similac Advance to a generic brand formula and despite them having almost identical ingredients...she seems to like the new one better.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Formula or breast milk only until they're eating a well balanced varied diet of table foods for their nutritional needs.

Have you tried pumping breast milk so you could mix the bottle with the formula to get her used to it instead of switching cold turkey? Not all babies will make a switch like that. In the bottle mix it 75% breast milk/25% formula until she takes it readily. Then knock it down to 50/50, then 25/75, then all formula.

She's just not far enough along in her diet (based on what you wrote) to be on regular milk yet...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I do not believe you should be pushing formula. Nor cow's milk, nor soy.
    I think you should continue breastfeeding her for as long as she needs it. Given that she's screaming over a substitution, why won't you allow her her say in this? She's just a baby. She's not ready to be weaned. What she would tell you if she had the words is "mommy, I love your milk, and I love the time we get to spend together breastfeeding, please don't take that away from me."
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I am going to assume that you have to go back to work or something and if thats the case then I know its probably breaking your heart to have to give up breastfeeding, dont feel guilty momma sometimes you have to do what you have to do :) If you cant pump enough for your baby then I would do the mixing the formula with the breastmilk to make it easier on baby. I breastfeed and I know giving it up is probably devestating, keep your head up.........
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 7:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my friends doctor told her it was ok to give her son good start instant breakfast, in a bottle. its very healthy and he liked it because it taste good.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 1:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2009