I Need to Know Info. about ear infections & Tubes in ears

My daughter has had an ear infection since October. I didn't even know she had one. So, we went through a round of antibiotics, and then I took her back to the doctor to be checked, and she still had it just a tiny bit in one ear. So, then it was round 2 of antibiotics in November. I didn't take her back to be checked after that round even though I had my suspicions she still had it. I just couldn't see giving her antibiotics three months in a row. I know that too many antibiotics isn't good for you. So, I tried some earache drops, and they seemed to really help. I took her for her first year check up, and they said she had a little left in one ear, so they prescribed more antibiotics. She got a fever shortly after her visit, so I filled the RX. Now, she's had a fever every day for three days. I called the doc and they said to give it until tomorrow & bring her in if she still has a fever.

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are they all the SAME antibiotics everytime?

Amoxicillin doesn't work for my kids and many kids today-it won't work for them either.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I had to have tubes put in my oldest sons ears..two sets..before he grew enough to stretch the eustachian tubes so they didn't trap fluid in the middle ear. His gaughter, my now adopted granddaughter has also had 2 sets. Her last tube came out 3 weeks ago..so far so good. This is the longest she has been without an ear infection since before the first ones went in. It takes more than a couple of infections to decide to go to P.E.Tubes. As a previous poster said make sure it isn't the same antibiotic back to back. Also...Once an antibiotic clears the infection it can take up to a month for the fluid in the middle ear to go away. Just because there is fluid doesn't mean there is an infection. New studies show LOTS of ear infections resolve on their own. I was never that fortunate. My two with the bad ones never complained...and then the ear drum would rupture. Ask for a consult to ENT.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• No, I believe they have been different all three times. We started with Amoxicillin & now she's taking Cefdinir. Her highest temp. has been 104!!!
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The way my pediatrician explained it to us is that tubes aren't usually needed unless the ear infection is not clearing up. My middle boy had an ear infection with each and every cold he had...but they always cleared up so we never had tubes. He had congestion in his ears, but not infections....so ask your doctor specifically about that...Is it an infection or just congestion. Antibiotics won't clear up the congestion/fluid.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009