Can you believe this?

Title: Woman stuck in Mexico after renouncing US citizenship

Article: Even though Brenda Vazquez was born in Texas, she told Customs and Border Protection officers at the U.S.-Mexico border in February that she wasn't a United States citizen. Almost four months later, Vazquez is trying desperately to return to Texas, claiming that she was forced to sign a false statement denying her citizenship. Vazquez's troubles began when a mistake on her birth certificate provoked additional questioning at the border. After "seven hours of intimidation," she swore she was born in Mexico, and her driver's license and birth certificate were confiscated. Vazquez's attorney says her situation isn't unique and warns Americans abroad to never "sign anything stating that they are not a citizen." http://now.msn.com/now/0604-woman-citizenship-lie.aspx

I am surprised by this.  I wonder what the mistake was.  Also the attorney saying that her situation is not unique.  Kinda freaks me out.  I want to go to Africa in two years. 

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 2:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm very surprised. I live in Mexico and have both citizenships. About 15 years ago I did have to renounce to one because at the time Mexico didn't allow 2 citizenships, I renounced the Mexican one. A few years ago Mexico started allowing multiple citizenships, so I gained it back. Since then I've never been forced to choose.
    It sounds like this woman screwed up, I honestly don't believe she was coerced.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• I would never leave the country without my passport, btw. BTDT. Stupid move.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 3:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• I believe it. It doesn't frighten me. I'm intelligent enough to never sign such a document.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 3:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• It sounds to me like she tried to prove a point, renounced her citizenship, realized the grass isn't greener on the other side and now wants back in except, she has to make it look like she didn't 'mean' it. Now, it's called applying to be a naturalized citizen. I hope she knows her US history.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• I rather doubt it is all that frequent. But I am with the other ladies, never sign anything that relinquishes your citizenship unless that is what you truely want to do. How stupid is that?

I also agree never leave the country without a passport. Again, just plain stupidity.

Isn't there someone on here that stupidity should hurt? I agree.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• If she was in Mexico for the last 4 months, assuming she was visiting, why didn't she say anything back then? Or at least thats what I am taking from the article. That she was questioned when she wanted into Mexico to visit and not on her way back to the US.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Well, why in the hell did she tell them she wasn't a US citizen to begin with?? There is something missing here in this story. It does kinda make you wonder why so many illegals are getting here since this woman was prevented entry to the US. I read in another story she claims she as denied her right to an attorney. I guess someone forgot to tell her she has no rights in Mexico.
    Anonymous

• Something seems off here. She is a grown woman, yet never noticed a mistake on her BC?? And then is coerced to renounce her US Citizenship? I'm sorry, but there is nothing on this earth that would make me renounce my citizenship, nothing! I also learned a long time ago to READ everything before I sign.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2012

• I don't see what the problem is. If she is really a US citizen that should be easy to prove. They will have her fingerprints from the DL. Getting a new bc isn't that difficult to get. I was born in Texas and had to get a new bc a couple of years ago.

Something doesn't smell right.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2012