How did you adjust to having two kids? I will have a 3 year old and a newborn in December.

I keep having nightmares that I can't carry both kids. I woke up this morning and looked at my daughter and just got terrified that she won't get the attention she deserves while I have the newborn. I am going to be so sleep deprived and on such a different schedule. I don't want her to feel left out in any way or have negative feelings towards the baby, or have me napping in the middle of the day because I was up all night.

I am so scared.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2012 in General Parenting

• It's easy, some days it's hard and you're in zombie mode but you can do it
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Mine was very easy. My DD who was 2 when my DS came was a big help and loed helping out and paying attention to her little brother
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• It's hard but, it can be done. I've been in your situation. My oldest turned 3 right before her baby sister was born. I was very sleep deprived the first couple of months because my oldest did not take naps. But, I got into the routine of making sure that I spent the time with my oldest, when my youngest napped. The housework suffered but, it was necessary.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• It is a little scary at first. Mine are 2 & 4. My biggest concern was teaching my oldest how to handle the baby physically. She would play with baby dolls and I'd teach her about being gentle. It will all become second nature soon enough... although trying to go shopping with two kids IMO is an exercise in futility. I just leave the store and shop online. GL and congrats.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• IDK I never really thought about it... my DD was 2 and 4 months when my son was born. It wasn't really that hard to have 2 little ones... you just do it.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• My daughter is fantastic- I think I am just doubting myself here. I am getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night now. I don't know if soaking up sleep while I can is helpful or harmful.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Do not be afraid. Your child will help you with raising a baby. Let him know that you are not without cost. Then he realizes that his mother still loves.
    oli2021

Answer by oli2021 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• My son was almost 3.5 when his sister was born. He was THRILLED to have her around. He was also a great helper all through the pregnancy and newborn months. I would read to him while I nursed. There was a short time when all three of us would nap together. Just take it a day at a time and give your oldest a LOT of praise for all the little things she does.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• I had TWINS, which is a little more difficult than having 2 kids a few yrs apart. You just adapt & do the best you can. You're a MOM, you can do it & everything will be fine. Besides-if you make it fun for your 3 yr old to help out her sibling, then you will have a little helper as well :)
    Midnight1125

Answer by Midnight1125 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Don't worry new mommy - I had two 18 months apart. You adjust, you learn how to be organized. The real trip is getting them both ready and out of the house (takes longer than you anticipate).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2012