My son refuses the potty....

My son is a couple weeks under two. I gave him a potty about 6 months ago, figuring I could get him comfortable sitting on it with a diaper it would be easier without.
He doesn't want to sit on it. If I set him on it, he stiffens up, and just falls forward on his face, crying. (usually bringing the chair with him) If I ask him, "Do you have to go potty?" He will walk over to the chair, pick it up and throw it, getting an angry face.
I cannot for the life of me, get him to go on it. He hates sitting on it, he hates seeing it... He refuses diapers, and takes them off no matter what I do to keep them on.
I am getting sick of finding poo in random places in my house and walking into tinkle spots when my little guy decides the diaper is just not working. I have both toilets, a little kiddie one, and the one on the seat.
Neither works...
Any ideas for making the potty a more appealing place?

NiciL

Asked by NiciL at 4:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know! This happened with my son and I got so mad I threw the potty away. I went out and bought him one of those rings you put on the big potty and he LOVES it! He likes to flush the real potty and watch himself pee in it.... now, he's only pooped once in it but I figure it's a start. He's doing way better on that then the little potty and they are only 10-15 dollars
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He's not yet 2? Honey, you may be pushing the potty and he's simply not ready for it yet. Take a break. Put it away. Don't talk about it. Don't mention it. Try pull-ups if he's not happy in diapers. Try diapers on backwards. Try diapers on with one-piece outfits that he can't easily get off.

In a few months, reintroduce the potty with big fan fare. Talk up being a big kid. Let him play with it before you push it as a "use it!" He'll get there, but honestly, a child under 2 typically is NOT ready for the toilet. Pushing it too soon just leads to frustrated kids and frustrated parents. It can even draw this process out longer than it needs to be.
    Anonymous

• He a couple weeks under two years old.
    He can get out of diapers, no matter what kind. I have used pins, cover-alls, one-peice shirts, even duct tape. He has managed to get out of every single one the second my back is turned. I have tried pull ups, and cloth diapers, and backwards diapers, and he hates them.
    I got the potty because I cannot keep diapers on him. If I cannot keep real diapers on him, I figured potty training was the next logical step...
    If your right and he is not ready, then what else can I do?
    NiciL

Answer by NiciL at 4:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Did you try rewarding him with stickers and such? My son also loves those
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well, I have no advice about how to keep a diaper on him, but I do agree that he simply may not be ready for the potty. Pampers and Huggies both actually have a good "signs of readiness" chart

Try putting the potty outside the bathroom for a few days. Just let him play with it. Let him come to it on *his* terms and explore. If he sits on it, praise him.

Drop a few cheerios in the toilet bowl and tell him to try to pee on them. My twon LOVED this! Something about hitting food with urine thrills toddlers. Sick I know.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son did the same thing, until I bribed him with Twix. He gets one every time he uses his potty. Wal-Mart had a special box of Pull-Ups with 51 pull-ups in it for $20. It was decorated with Disney's Cars. It has a race track on the top of the box and he also gets a sticker on the racetrack every time he uses his potty.
    kidlovesbatman

Answer by kidlovesbatman at 5:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I can not relate to your dilemma but I feel compelled to help you. I know how frustrated you must be...could you try forcing him to clean up his own messes. Give him a bucket of soapy water and make him stay there untill he at least attempts. or set up a little theatre were he can watch a new movie, something you know he will really like, and he can sit on his potty and eat popcorn. I actually had to sit behind my son on the big potty so he wasn't afraid. most of the time we just sat there together, but it seemed to help. just throwing some stuff out there.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Some kids are just not ready at that age. You could just let him wear big boys panties and see if he will get used to the feeling of being wet, and see if he then will start going to the potty, just tell him, if he dont wont diapers were going to throw them away and go to the potty like big boys do... Thats what I told my daughter, and we took her to walmart and let her get a potty soft seat that goes on a regual potty...she got an elmo one and loves it. do a potty dance-song. and give him a treat... see how he does.
    Staceyymichelle

Answer by Staceyymichelle at 7:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sounds like he's not totally ready yet. I'd back off in terms of trying to get him to sit on the potty. Ask him if he'd like to but if he doesn't want to, don't force it. You could try putting the potty in with his toys on a plastic table cloth to protect your floors. Perhaps if it's just there he'll warm up to it.
    Go ahead and keep him in underpants. When he has an accident, change him in the bathroom and tell him this is where pee and poop go.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I know you're fed up but this will be so funny to both of you in about 10 years :) I cannot help but chuckle- sounds like a smart kid
    twinmom123

Answer by twinmom123 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2009