Flu Shot for an infant?

The doctor basically made me get my 6 month old a flu shot, with his 6 months shots. And then She said that my son needed to come back in a month and get the flu shot booster or something. She never even explained anything to me. I was just wondering if anyone elses doctor made them get a flu shot for their younger child. Is this a good thing, or i have no idea.

DanielleStover1

Asked by DanielleStover1 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't be made to do anything like that from them so that's not true.
    Anonymous

• don't let your DR "make you" do anything

I vac. my boys but have never had tehm get the flu shot...DH and I don't get it either- there really isn't a need for it

I'd find another DR if I were you
    Anonymous

• The reason they asked you to come back is b/c they can only give them a half a dose at a time of the flu shot, so they repeat it again within 30 days. I didn't get my baby boy back in 30 days and figured by the time it takes effect it may be too late to get it again. I need to call my dr's office to see if he can still get it, but that's why. They won't give them a whole dose until they are 3.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 4:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My ds had a flu shot at 6 months and then the doc said we had to come back 30 days later for it again. I was puzzled by this but did not ask questions. I should have... as my ds did not tolerate it well. Not sure if its coincedence or not but exactly 7 days after his 1st flue shot he was sick for 10 days. Exactly 7 days after his second flu shot he was sick for about 4 days. I posted a question about it on here. Some think its due to the flu shot others think that he may have picked something up at the doc when he was there, and some people think his immune system was lowered due to the flu shot and caught the bug. I personally dont know, but I wonder myself why they must have 2???? and at this point I venture to say that I will probably not have him get the flu shot again as he did not tolerate it well.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 4:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• anyone who baby who is under 2 need flu shot.
    they can get sick very easy and that it better to give them flu shot because if the get sick they can get really bad flu. and they immune system is still young and all
    IT good thing for them to get flu shot.
    and why not just have the doctor do the flu shot at 9 month check up so you don have to go next month.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• What mommytobe24 said is total bullshit ;)

your child under the age of 2 does NOT -need- a flu shot.

with that stupid flu shot you basically force your child to get sick - getting the flu.

Why not just wait and see?! Our ped. does not give kids the flu shot unless the parents kind of force her to do it. She says its stupid to MAKE your child sick on purpose.
    And that its easier and better for the immune system to either get the flu or not.

our dd is 19 months old, never had a flu, never got a flu shot. actually never has been sick before.. until a couple days ago. she is fighting with a really bad bronchitis right now.

No flu shot for my little girl. thats a torture for an adult already, so its even worse for an infant/baby. :-/
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It is recommended they get the flu shot, however...a doctor cannot MAKE you do anything. You had every right to refuse it and walk out. You have every right to NOT go in for the next dose if you so choose.

This is the first year we've had the boys get their flu shots. Our youngest was just diagnosed with asthma and we felt the extra measure of protection for him was warranted now. (this was their first year getting one)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• M.Robertson is wrong....the flu shot cannot get you sick. The flu shot is not live. The flu shot is not for the common stomach flu....the flu shot is for the respiratory flu that is INFLUENZA.
    Anonymous

• sorry mrs hiding anonymous. you are wrong. ask your doc again ;) it -can- give you the flu. not 100%, but most patients will get the flu after the shot.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• M.Robertson....do your research

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/flugallery/2007-08/pdf/f_factmyth_8x11.pdf
    Anonymous