Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Traveling to Canada

My DH and I want to take our step son camping in Canada this summer. I read on a website that as he is under 16, all we need is his birth certificate. Bio mom said she had not problem with any of this and will give us the birth certificate for the trip, but she suggested we get one for ourselves in case this comes up in the future.

Tonight when my DH called, she said that she was told she also needed to write us a letter stating we had her permission to take their child into another country. She asked if we knew if the letter needed to be notarized or not. I told her that while it is nice of her to offer, and we will take it just in case, but I hadn't heard that. She asked me to verify if the letter needed to be notarized.

I mean really! I already told her I hadn't heard of that! But my DH wants me to see if I can find the answer. I mean, sometimes this woman really annoys me.

So, I looked online and some mention a letter, some sites do not. Does anyone know if 1) we actually NEED the letter this woman is insisting we need and 2) Does it need to be notarized.
Thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2012 in Travel

Answers (6)
  • It is much better to have it. When I travel with my kids I take one from my husband just in case. Notarized is better but they have not had any problem with them not being notarized.

    Answer by Melbornj at 7:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

  • It is better to be safe than sorry. Why are you getting all worked up about her being helpful? She just wants to make sure you have everything you need.

    Answer by AF4life at 7:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

  • I would get it notarized. It's better safe than sorry.

    I am traveling with my children overseas on my own this summer and will have a notarized letter of permission for me to take them out of the country.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 7:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

  • Sounds like the bio mom is not only trying to be really helpful, but very supportive of this trip. Why are you so upset with her?

    And yes, I most certainly would take the notarized letter. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

    Answer by theMOMmission at 8:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

  • I would think it would be a VERY good idea to cover all your bases and have the letter notarized for sure....It would be a real heartache to get to the border and find out you need it. I'm actually really impressed at how co-operative and helpful she's being...

    I hope you enjoy your vacation here ! What province will you be camping in ? We live in Ontario, but go to Quebec for camping - and New Brunswick....those provinces are so beautiful. I'd love to go to Alberta some time - they have gorgeous National and Provincial Parks in Alberta....

    Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

  • even if nothing says you should, if she is the residential parent and you run into an issue, it is better to have it than not and good grief it takes 10 seconds to get it notarized CHILL

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.