My 9 year old daughter wants to make and sale bracelets, where should i begin?

she thought of this idea... she has collected 55.00 in bottle returns now she wants to learn how to earn more money. ill help her but im not sure where to begin. please help!!!

rosesrred1

Asked by rosesrred1 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Does she know how to make bracelets? If not, that would be the first step. She would need to learn and practice til she has something others will be willing to buy. Then start off selling to friends, family, co-workers, etc and see where it goes.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Does she know how to make them? If not, then Michael's is a great resource for how to books as well as supplies. How big is she envisioning? Just sell to friends, flea market, etc. or to sell online like on ebay and etsy? If she's envisioning more than family and friends then you need a more detailed business plan figuring out how much each bracelet cost to make in order to figure pricing to cover costs, shipping, and labor plus profit.

Answer by missanc at 8:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• well she has little cheap bracelets she earned 6.00 so far... only family bought from her so far.
    rosesrred1

Comment by rosesrred1 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• I can't find it right now but any craft store should have a loom for making small(ish) beaded bracelets.

This might also be a great resource for friendship bracelets, and how to make them: http://friendship-bracelets.net/index.php

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Personally, I feel sales and children don't mix. There is a fine line. See, if she starts selling a lot, which is slim, you will be responsible for a city business license as well as your state's sales tax. I feel like if it's going to be done, the example needs to be set beforehand. I think maybe an allowance for doing chores would be a little more appropriate. But still, encourage her to do crafting because it's fun, healthy, and could lead somewhere in the future.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• Who does she want to sell to? (It's SELL, not SALE... you "make a sale" or stores "have sales" but sale is a noun not a verb.. you "sell" your product. Sorry... I'm a writer by profession and this is one of my bugaboos!)

First thing to determine is who your market is, then figure out how to best reach them. How much selling are you talking about? As Musicmom pointed out, there are regulations that even apply for nine year olds.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2012

• friendship bracelets are cute and she can try it why not .
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2012

• The first thing she should do is visit a crafts store and check out what they have. Also, the store should carry "How To" magazines on many different subjects. It should tell her everything she needs & how to do it. Don't be afraid to ask an employee of the store, as well. That's what they are there for. Good luck to her.
    Xlandria

Answer by Xlandria at 9:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Mom, I would make for sure this is absolutely what she wants to spend that money on. I mean go to the library first instead of buying the how-to-books and let her read up on the looming etc... Plus that may count towards a summer reading program to? (I dont know if your city library offers such ?) Them encourage her to start small & easy with friendship, maybe knotting, and some kits even. I wish both of you luck and prosperous years ahead!
    twistedsister1

Answer by twistedsister1 at 2:37 AM on Jun. 27, 2012