• In the Spotlight:

PLEASE HELP Is it safe

Is it safe to give your dog Bayer Aspirin I looked on the internet and it said it is fine but my vet says no I can not afford to bring her in this week but she is in pain with a ear infection I used ear cleaner for dogs a cleaned it also put warm wash cloths on her ears can you please help me she weighs 125pds and is 12 yrs old

Thanks

tryingmom203

Asked by tryingmom203 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pets

• As far as the infection not healing itself, not necessarily true. A good majority of Homeopathic Vets do not believe in putting antibiotics into an animal. They come from the belief that the body if strong enough will heal itself as certain bacteria will run their course. The incidence for recurrence is greater though. With this said the owner should be thoroughly cleaning ear rather than doing nothing. She does not have the money right now so vetting isn't an option. Try and be understanding. As a Vet I see this everyday and I would much have an owner use a known home remedy that they can afford as opposed to allowing for companion to suffer.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Make sure to give buffered aspirin. If you need to know dosage message me directly.
    equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 4:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I bought dog pain reliever at Walmart it's made by Hartz
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• She needs to go to the VET. See if ur vet will allow u 2 make pyments
    Anonymous

• I know she needs to go to the vet they wont let me make payments I called other vets and its going to be like 200$$ no one will take payments
    tryingmom203

Answer by tryingmom203 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• $200.00 to look at her ear and give her drops?
    Anonymous

• If my dog has an ear infection I usually get out of the vet's for about $60 tops. I used to be a vet tech before kids and I can't imagine a vet charging $200 for an ear infection.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ask luvinher but in in the future, look into pet insurance..for my dog it was only 24 bucks a month..i've given my dogs tylenol before. just go according to weight..but im not a pro so take my advice with a grain of salt
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• NEVER GIVE TYLENOL!!!! THAT CAN KILL YOUR DOG!!!!!! I also use to be a Vet tech. We frequently allowed asprin to be given, but in very small doses, and not on a longer term basis unless there was a medical need (i.e. cardiomyopathy). $200 is probably so they can do lab work and figure out what kind of bacteria is growing in there to get the proper medication, they also probably want to do a really good ear clensing to get all the gunk out so that the drops can make into the canal. Animal ear canals are very different from ours, and actually curve so there is a flat surface for water/junk to sick making the perfect environment for bacteria/yeast to grow. If not cleaned properly you will never get rid of the infection. Also if not cleaned carefully you can rupture their eardrums. I see some one commented on buffered asprin, but it depends on which vet you talk to.
    Anonymous

• CONT.... Some vets say none buffered because the dog cannot digest the buffering on the asprin, meaning they are not getting the medication anyways. I NEVER recommend using Hartz anything. They seem to do more harm than good. Also make sure what ever ear cleanser you are using does not contain alcohol. That will burn your pets ears, especially if there are any open sores in there (like from scratching). Bottom line is you need to get your dog to the vet. Nothing over the counter is going to kill the infection. You are allowing your animal to be in pain, and opening the door for other medical conditions. The main ones being a ruptured ear drum, the infection spreading to the inner ear, or and aural hematoma (huge blood blister). If you don't act soon, it is going to cost you more money in the long run.
    Anonymous