Why Do Christians Get Fertility Treatments?

Now I am not trying to bash anyone or be rude or anything, but I am truly curious and I don't know how else to word it.

To be more specific...

Couples who believe that God gives life and babies are a blessing from the Lord and that you shouldn't be on birth control because you're stopping babies from being born... say they find out they can't have kids.

Why do they not believe that God made them infertile for a reason and just adopt or not have kids at all?

If God wanted you to have kids, wouldn't you be fertile? You believe that God has a plan, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• God does have a plan but he doesnt expect us to be idiots and do nothing to help ourselves either. If there is a way to have children and you cant then theres nothing wrong with getting help. If the treatments dont work then obviously God didnt want you to have kids. But this falls into the same category of assuming because we believe in God we dont believe in medicine or advancement in science. So someone who gets fertility treatments and believes in god shouldnt? Does that also mean they shouldnt get cancer treatment? Thyroid treatment? Or any other? Thats silly.

Answer by gemgem at 5:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I can not speak for all Christian religions but I am Catholic and I know IVF is not a treatment the church accepts. Any infertility treatment that takes the man and women connecting together to conceive a child is wrong in the church's eyes. Many Catholics I know who are infertile do go with out having kids or adopt only. I know pills are ok, such as Clomid. You still have to connect with your partner to make the baby. I have taken it myself. The church does push adoption/foster care. Many even have agencies they personally work with.

Anonymous

• I understand what you mean.. each denomination is different in their beliefs in this. Some won't let you take bc or get fertility treatments, others will, and to some it's a gray area. like Answered at 5:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 by: Anonymous said about hers being against it.. and gemgem saying her denomination things it's silly, etc. It varies.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I agree with you...I know a lady at work who is 38 yrs old, and has been on Birth Control pills for 9 yrs straight..now ALL OF A SUDDEN she is ready to have a baby?! Well, I always told her that if God wanted you to get pregnant it would happen, and if it didnt you would just need to deal with it...she doesnt get it..so I just let her be. I do agree with you OP!!
    Anonymous

• Medical science and religion are such gray areas. I think if you are a devout deeply religious Christian who is accepting what God gives you, and if you are infertile, then you should remain that way. Adoption I would personally think would be ok, because you're taking in a child(ren) that do not have a home.

I know some Christians who believe if you have cancer, that it's awful, but that's what God gave you and it's your cross to bear and will not accept any treatments, insisting only on prayer.

I think it depends on how religious the person is and how they feel about rejecting "God's Plan" for them, and if taking the help that medical science offers is going against them personally or not. It depends on the person I would say, and how deeply religious they are.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. I'm not at all saying that Christians have no right to do this, but what I am saying is that God has a plan. I have a good friend that tried for 9 long years to get pregnant, and she just couldn't get pregnant. Instead of doing invitro or other fertility treatments, they adopted 2 sisters that were in desperate need of a good home. I believe that she is supposed to be their mother. I believe that God planned this all along because those girls were meant for her. If I find that I can't have biological children I fully plan on adopting.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• God helps those who help themselves...however i wish they would adopt kids who would LOVE to have some (real) parents.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• people pick & choose "god's will" to make it work around THEIR will.
    Anonymous

• We pick and choose, kinda like a salad bar. Unfortunately.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I believe that things happen for areason. I believe I have miscarried afew children because something was wrong, something wasnt to be. I believe we all have are own areas in which we pick and choice what the lord wants us to us as a lesson. I personaly was looking into adoption but ended up preg with our 7 baby. But the lord allowed us to be parents to 2 of them while the others grew wings and one day I will be fortune enough to meet.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 3:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2009