DNA Dootie? Would you comply?

So I was reading an interesting article today. In Alabama, a DNA service takes DNA samples of every pet living in the area. So when people don't clean up their waste, the get a $150 fine. There have been reports that the problem is almost 100% eliminated. Not only do they know the breed, they know specifically who's dog, who's house, and they get fined. I think it's a gonna be a lot of work to keep track of. But , hey! What do I know. I wouldn't personally care because my dogs stay in my house. But paying $60 a pup to register their DNA is a bit much!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2012 in Pets

• seems like a waste of public resources if you ask me. It will cost a whole lot more just to run the DNA sample
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• That is a bit extreme to me. I do get annoyed with people allowing their dogs to poop anywhere and not clean it up, but that just seems like a waste of money and resources.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• are you serious? a DNA test to identify dog crap?!?! do you know how many rape cases get placed in the cold case pile because they don't have the funds to run a DNA test and search through the database for a match??? This... this just makes me sick. Maybe dog DNA is easier so less expensive but seriously there are many more worthwhile causes.

Nicky2911

Answer by Nicky2911 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• The fine equals the cost to run the DNA. I did the math.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• BUT I will say, out here there is a huge problem with Parvo and Valley Fever, and worms. All transferable through dog feces. If people would clean up after there dog it would be a safer place to walk them. I work at a grooming salon and no one picks up their crap right out front in the parking lot!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2012

• I would poop on the ticket and send it back to them
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2012