any suggestions???

Okay, so my DD is just a little over 2 months old, and is usually a great sleeper, well she was. It seems now that the only way she will go to sleep is in my arms with me rocking her to sleep, or if I'm laying down breastfeeding her...BUT as soon as I start to put her down or try to get up from the bed she begins screaming her little head off, and actually gets tears in her eyes...It makes me feel so horrible. Its like she thinks that I'm abandoning her...I'd like to know what works for you. She hates her swing, or anything else that she seems alone in! And like I said this just began recently. I'm going nuts! I mean I'd love to hold her all day, or just lay in bed with her, but I can't I have things to do too, ya know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As hard as it is to just let her scream and cry, you should try to put her down by herself and let her cry in 5 minute increments and go back and pat her back and then leave for 10 minutes, and after that, go back every 10 minutes until she falls asleep. You could also try putting a radio in her room with a lullaby CD playing quietly. It worked for me!
    kidlovesbatman

Answer by kidlovesbatman at 5:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh please do not listen to the first response!! *Wants to cry just imagining that sort of situation*

What worked for my older daughter who was a lot like this was putting her to sleep on a very FLAT pillow. Really old, and really used (yeah, there's a germ issue, but meh..) I would booby her to sleep, and then lay her down in bed on the pillow.. Usually bought me a few more minutes because she didn't notice the transfer as bad..
    Also, boobying to sleep and leaving can be tricky- try to put something that smells like you (such as your shirt) up near her nose so she doesn't think you've left.. And try to lay right on the edge of the bed when you booby her down so you can gently roll of the bed..

With DD2, she's less high maintanance, and in those early days I learned that she slept soooo much better on her tummy.. I don't recommend this until you're very secure in your parenting, have a baby that knows how to move her
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• head, even roll over, don't have an overly plush mattress, and just, overall, if you're very aware of the risks of tummy sleeping... There are dangers in it, and no, not every baby should tummy sleep, and not every mother should even consider it.
    But I did find with my DD2, that once she woke after being unlatched, that if I put her on her tummy and patted her bum she was right out...
    I check on her CONSTANTLY when she's tummy sleeping, though..
    (And I say was, because now that she's almost 4 months old, she's learned to sleep on her back and side, and is a lot less finicky about how she's put to sleep)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Not positive but if you are the one that said your baby has a ear infection, that could be causing the screaming. My doc said that when they lay flat like in a crib that it puts pressure on the ears when they are infected and causes pain. And have you tried a nook. Maybe having something to suck on to sooth her will help her stay asleep. Idk, my baby is only 2 months so I dont have much to suggest.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009