Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should a father be able to qualify for the WIC program if....

He has a child under 5.
The mother is deceased.
Has full custody of the child.
Since after all the program is not only about woman but Infant and child.
Should these guidelines change.
I ask since i seen a guy come to apply and was denied based off his gender versus situation.


Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • GemGem,
    It may also be based off the state WIC guidelines not all Wic policies in general,so that is not always true but a sad fact how things can be not equal for everyone in every state.
    That is why we have discrimination laws.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Yes. If he is the primary caregiver I think he should be eligible. How sad.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Oh that's bull. WIC stands for Women, Infants and Children. If there is no Mother in the picture and the father needs formula, milk and other foods for his child/children (under the age of 5 of course) he should be able to get it. No where in my information that I have does it say that a man cannot get that stuff for his children. It's not like he's asking for it for himself. Are you positive that he was denied because he's a man?? Maybe he makes too much money to qualify.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • i think they should be qualified, why does it only pertain to women and children , lots of fathers can use help to

    Answer by JAJA_Steele at 5:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Thats not true. I took my dd to WIC and there was a man there who had a child under 5 and the mom had died. She died at birth I believe or soon after. He got WIC.
    Its Women, Infants and Children. The child is the quaifier not the man. Therefore under WIC rules a father can qualify if they bring their child in and they are under 5 and meet the financial guidelines.

    Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I heard it.
    They said he would not qulify since it is for woman with infants or a child(ren)
    I called and asked and i was told that as well so i did check to see, i did not misunderstand.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I would call the office and find out because you have to be a woman, an infant or a child. My dd gets WIC and she gets it in her sons name. He is under 5. She also now gets it again for her because shes pregnant again, but before it was under my grandsons name. Id call and complain.

    Answer by gemgem at 5:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Fathers should after all a woman that becomes a mother by adoption or surrogacy can so why not him as well ?

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • It's something to take up with the state on guidelines not them so i'm looking into it.
    However it is sad that can happen and has and will continue until it changes for all who need it just not off of gender.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • thats horrible :[ that poor guy

    Answer by aliciatron at 5:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN