Question about grief?

My daughter Emily was stillborn in May 2007. I cried when I found out she was dead, cried when I first held her, and at the funeral. I haven't cried since. Is this normal?

kidlovesbatman

Asked by kidlovesbatman at 5:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Health

• Most people go through the 5 stages. You probably went through them without knowing it.
    Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

Anger (why is this happening to me?)

Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

Depression (I don't care anymore)

Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)
    http://www.cancersurvivors.org/Coping/end%20term/stages.htm

Answer by gemgem at 5:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• "Normal"? I don't know, it may be normal for you and not for someone else. I've had a couple miscarriages and cried a lot at the time, but now almost 4 years from the last one I haven't cried about that loss in a long time, years in fact. Do you not cry at all, or is it just not crying about your daughter? Did you cry easily before she died? I can't tell you if it's normal or not, but I can recommend you look into contacting The Compassionate Friends. It's an organization for people who have lost a child at any age. Perhaps you could find the help and answers you seem to be seeking there.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2009