Ok so I just found out I'm expecting baby #2 and I'm alittle worried my delivery isn't going to go how I want; with my daughty I had 15 hours active labor and then a emer C-section, I really want to try this the natural way, Am I being selfish for wanting this.

MrsCarlton

Asked by MrsCarlton at 5:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did a VBAC with my second. I had a terrible delivery with my first. I was forced into an emergency c-section, despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with my baby. (Long story short, my doc had vacation plans, it was Dec 23rd and he wanted my baby born on his watch. I was naive and didn't know any better at that point. My records prove there was nothing wrong with my baby or me and there's no explanation for the c-section.) Anyway...I interviewed several doctors before I found one that would agree to let me have a VBAC. I hated my c-section and wanted to do it vaginally. Best thing ever for me. I rebounded so quickly (which was important to me). Do discuss your desires for this pregnancy with your doctor. Some docs don't like to do them...they may try to scare you with all these "facts" about why you shouldn't try it. Do your own research though. Check out www.vbac.com, it has a lot of good info. CONGRATS!
    Anonymous

• No, as long as you are not putting this baby at danger by insisting on a vaginaly delivery. I too had a c/s after 16 hours of labour (he ended up being breech) and if we were having another I would certainly try a vbac over another c/s. As long as there were no medical reasons against it. I have two older kids who were born vaginally, so I didn't "miss out" on that experience, but I do feel that too much emphasis is put on having a certain type of birth. To me a healthy baby and mom is a sucessful delivery, whether mom had drugs or not, whether mom pushed they baby out herself or had help from a vaccum or forceps, or whether baby came out through the birth canal or an incision. But I do not think you are being selfish for wanting to experience a vaginal birth, I think it's great. Good luck and congratulations!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Thank you it really helps, I just don't want the same problems this time around I didn't heal very well from the C section.
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 5:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I'm doing a VBAC with my second due in July. It's not selfish at all. In fact it's the best thing you can do from your baby! There are a lot of people and doctors that try to scare you out there, but in all reality a vaginal birth even after C section is healthiest for both mom and baby. I'm having a homebirth with a midwife, so no drugs will be involved. You should join a couple of the groups I'm in (VBACs and natural pregnancy and childbirth). They have a really supportive group of moms and midwives and a ton of resources including medical journals and articles.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 5:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• thank you for the advice
    MrsCarlton

Answer by MrsCarlton at 5:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009