Formula to Breastfeeding exclusively

Hello,
I know this is not the direction most moms go in. Is it possible to totally eliminate formula once you've started? I was instructed to alternate between breastfeeding and formula because of my babies weight and latching problems. Now almost 4 weeks later I find that I'm mostly bottle/formula feeding. I've always imagined just breastfeeding but I've had a fear of him not getting enough since being told by the nurse that he wasn't eating enough.

ga_newmom

Asked by ga_newmom at 5:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I didn't wait that long. My daughter was formula fed in the hospital because I was afraid of her starving when I didn't have any milk, no one told me she would I came up with that on my own. When my milk came in we were home and I decided to try and BF and she did good for 3 months then we got thrush and I couldn't take the pain. If you still have milk try BFing for all feedings and then give him formula throughout the day until your milk supply gets up. Hope this helps.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You definitely could go strictly to breastfeeding from formula feeding. Simply put, the more you nurse, the more milk you'll produce. If baby can't latch on correctly at first, keep trying. My second baby was tongue-tied which made nursing a challenge and painful for some time, but we stayed strong and muddled through and she became quite the little nursing pro. Give it a shot. If it doesn't seem to be working, you'll know and can always go strictly to formula. Good luck!
    daisyluvnmomof3

Answer by daisyluvnmomof3 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Thanks for responding so quickly! I've noticed that the feedings are getting less painful and he seems to still have the desire to latch on...he just always still seems hungry afterward so I don't know how to wean him off of the bottle.
    ga_newmom

Answer by ga_newmom at 11:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2009