Has anyone ever used Coconut oil, olive oil, or mayo on their hair!?

IF so ..did it work for you!? Just got my hair highlighted at the SALON and man did she mess it up.. its not even the color I wanted and when I go to wash it it tangles so bad.. I can't even brush it without like taking lots of time getting the tangles out :( So sad.. what can I do to get it back to half way normal!?

KylonsMom

Asked by KylonsMom at 5:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My hair is very fine.. and I color.. it all the time.. it gets dry... I keep a sm bottle of olive oil in the bathroom.. and on days that I know I am going to wash my hair.. I put some of the olive oil in my hair.. and put it up..in a messy bun... the oil soaks into my hair.. when I wash it.. It is like having a fresh hair cut.. and my hair always looks so fresh and shinny on those days.. The olive oil washes out good ..For the knots you may want to try a product from SunSilk it is in the purple spay bottle it is a de-tangling shine spray...therma shine.. I use it all the time and love it.. I would not try to comb my hair without it... Hope this helps.. A sister friend.. LisaMe!
    CandyMinistry

Answer by CandyMinistry at 8:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• ive used olive oil and mayo.. not coconut oil though..

the mayo really conditioned it a lot!

if its not the color you like my hair stylist told me about this shampoo that she had to use in beauty school for 2 weeks and her hair was died black and it slowly strips her hair and takes the color out...

its called Suave something i think it starts with a C.. im sorry i cant think of the whole thing lol.. but its worth a shot...

anyway olive oil and mayo def work to condition the hair.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i've used olive oil and mayo, but ti was so long ago i dont remember much except the olive oil made my hair gross and greesy!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh no, it soulds like she might have burned your hair. I have used olive oil and carrot oil on the tips of my hair. And i personally did not like it. It left it so greasy and i only used a dab. But it may work for your hair to use at night to add moisture back. Other than that, go get a good conditioner, like joico k-pak, and leave it in for 15 minutes. for an added boost, sit under the hair dryer, or warm a towel with hot hot water or in the dryer for a few minutes and wrap head in it. Do that at least 2-3 times a week until it starts getting moisture back Try not too blow try and flat iron. If you must blow dry, dont get dryer too close to hair. Also, get a leave in conditioner for added help. Joico makes one that is good. If price is a prob. Get the aussie one from wal-mart. Good Luck
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 5:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Go back to the salon and ask them if they can fix it.....free of charge. That stinks, good luck
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• thanks guys for the advice! I did go back and she said she could color back brown..but I was like no I just paid you 88 bucks for this crap I am not going back to the original color!!
    KylonsMom

Answer by KylonsMom at 8:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Go back and make her give you a hot oil treatment free of charge. I did that when I got my hair permed and the lady burned it. It made it a lot better!
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• oh geez! FIRST: its really hard for me to give advice when i cant see or touch your hair. extra dry & tangled hair doesnt always mean the hair dresser messed up your hair. the weather/climate also has alot to do with it. the types of hair products you are using as well & the hair brushes your using!. SECOND: yes the items you mentiond does work for in expensive treatments & i do recommend you do so. THIRD: dont brush your hair, pick it out. from the bottom up. use a pick if your hair is as thick as im imagining. FORTH: you may use lightly & not on the scalp olive oil for a detangler. lightly! otherwise you hair will be oily in a few hours. regulate it. but dont put any direct heat, such as irons or dryers in/on your hair. understand cooking oil is just for that...it will react as it suppost to and cook you hair. only as a detangler & conditioner ONLY! ok girls...im a hairdresser!
    Anonymous

• continued from above...FIFTH: beware of recoloring damaged hair. especially to a dark color. Where ever the damage is, thats where the hair is the most pourious & will grab the new color the darkest. it will also be the first place it will fade. you will want to go back to an experienced hairdresser. discuss what i have just told you & will quickly find out who is experienced & who isnt. ask them how they are going to fix it. the best way to fix an expremely damaged hair is to weave/foil/cap color slowly back into it. recoloring does NOT remove the damage! understand that. only proper care of your hair will combat the problem. treat it like it is a silk shirt from china each & everytime you touch it. then & only then will it become healthy again. the color you have in it will lighten with a few more shampoos as well, even bleeched hair lightens. good luck sweetie.
    Anonymous

• Ok let me help you you can use mayonaiseand then put a shower cap on.But an inepensive way is to go to the adult school and get a leave in treatment it costs seven dollars.Then go to sallys beauty supply place and get a leave in treatment like pro vitamin,also there is a leave in conditioner called professional infusium 23 put it in a spray bottle and use it after you shampoo your hair .My hair right now is like silk.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2009