how do u get a very picky eater to eat he is 4 and he will not eat any kind of veggies i dont want him to go hungry so i usually fix him what he wants if he doesnt want he will not eat it no matter how long he sits there

nutz4mistate

Asked by nutz4mistate at 5:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• well first of all quit giving in thats why he wont eat what you make because he knows you will make him what he wants. Trust me he wont go hungry the most he might skip is one dinner and by morning hes going to be hungry.
    Anonymous

• if he likes yogurt and fruit, make some smoothies and put some healthy veggie stuff in there. don't let him watch you when you make it....then he will not know you threw a handful of fresh spinach in there. you can get an entire days serving of fruits and veggies and that calcium from a smoothie. sure there are specific directions for ingredients if you google it, but we just toss things right in the mix!!! when i worked with families as a counselor, some mothers pureed up veggies and put them in the spaghetti sauce for example as well....hard to get some autistic and other special needs children to eat something they do not like the texture of
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My daughter went through a picky stage and my son 2.5 is in one now. With both of them they get what I make for dinner and nothing special. If they eat--good. If not they just don't eat. If they don't eat dinner they usually eat a BIG breakfast. I have never made them eat anything either. I refuse to make food a fight with them. I put the plate in fromt of them and if they have not eaten when we are done eating it gets cleaned up. A child is not going to starve themselves. If you keep giving them "special" food they will learn to expect it. My daughter is now 4 and will eat anything. Her favorite foods are crab soup, shrimp and steamed broccoli.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• jerry seinfeld's wife sarah wrote a book about blending fruit/veg into purees and hiding them in everything, i have the book but never really did it, my soneats vegi/fruit so i figured, why do it in my case??
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i would recommend a cookbook called the sneaky chef. my daughter will eat anything from that book. i started with that, then told her, this is what's in it, tomorrow we're trying it a different way. now she eats most anything.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• First, it will not hurt him to go without a meal or two. You need to establish the ground rules NOW...he should already be used to eating right at his age. I don't do the "sneak" thing...I make the dishes I make and my kids eat what's put on the table. No separate meals for anyone. If they don't like what's being served, they have the option of not eating. They were always required to try things 3 times on 3 occasions, because tastes change. Not like 3 times in a week...I mean once a year for 3 years. If they still didn't like it, they never had to taste it again.
    I started feeding my kids right from the beginning. No McD's, no BK. It helps that I hate fast food myself, I guess. My daughter went through a year where she refused to eat anything green. Now her favorites are broccoli and spinach. Just keep offering the right foods, don't make a big deal out of it if he refuses, but don't prepare something different either.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I have to say, one of my biggest pet peeves (and I am not talking about the OP here) is people who say things like "My 3 yr old won't eat anything but McDonald's fries"...Umm, yes they WILL when you stop buying McDonald's fries for them!!! There is not a kid in the world who is going to starve themselves. Offer the right food, but don't make eating an issue. If they don't want it tell them "Ok, well, it's here when you decide you're hungry" and leave it at that. Don't buy the foods you don't want them to eat, it really is that simple. Explain that some foods are good for once in a while, and some are good for every day. Don't make the fries a "treat" because it gives them more importance. Just make oven fries at home and don't make a big deal of it. Buy good, wholesome foods, and leave it at that.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2009