Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anything we can do? Is there anything they can do to us?

My husband and I bought a foreclosed home about 6 months ago now. About three or four times a month creditors have come to our door looking for the people who used to live here. There was even a repo truck one night looking for a car these people had stopped paying for. The people who lived here are still using this address because we get mail for them nearly everyday. There have been about 15 letters from different car dealerships mailed here. I have sent them all back to the post office. Today a repo man came to our door looking to reposess a TV. Luckily our TV didn't match the model they were looking to reposses. He said the TV was bought only 3 months ago and this is the address they were given. My question is: is there anything we can do about the creditors coming to our house? And is there anything they (either the creditors or the people who used to live here) can do to us?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • Everytime I explain to a creditor I am not who they are looking for the of course don't believe me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Isn't it illegal to use the wrong address? I am not sure what they could do, but you could file a report with the police that these people are using your address.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Yes you can ask for their address when they come and write a letter asking them to cease and desist from harassing you. Explain in it that you bought this home under foreclosure and have had multiple problems with people like them coming to your home because of the former owners. Explain youre of no relation to them, that you dont know how to contact them and any further contact with you will result in harassment charges.
    I would also call the police and have them make a report of some kind so you can maybe get advice from them.

    Answer by gemgem at 5:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I will do that and send letters. But it is not the same company everytime. Actually it is usually a new company everytime! These people owe a lot of money to A LOT of different companies!

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I agree with gemgem.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • You can stop the mail by filing a form with the post office, as well. I also have a paper in my mailbox that is taped to the inside of the door that lists what last names are at that address so the delivery person remembers (she put the note in the box, BTW)

    Just keep informing businesses that come by that the old family has moved. If possible, ask about the store(s) where the purchases were made. Often, reposessions are done by separate agencies. The original store may not know to flag the address as incorrect.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • As for the creditors being able to do anything, they can't unless they can prove you are the person who applied for the credit, which you are not. You are more likely to be able to go after them for harrassment once you have established who you are.

    Answer by mom2alan at 7:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • Um, can you not show these people your identification when they come knocking on your door? That is what I would do. Then I would threaten to call the police if they keep harrassing me. Seriously, if you stand your ground and maybe even actually call the police they will be forced to do some investigating to verify your identity and realize that you are not the person they are looking for. I would absolutely threaten them with a law suit or calling the cops when they come to the door and for gosh sakes, don't let them in your house!!!!!

    Answer by KTMOM at 7:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • I'm having a similar problem with my phone number, there is some guy giving out our number as his and we finally had to threaten legal action. Like some of the other posters said, just prove who you are and tell them to leave you alone or you'll call the police, you aren't the person they're looking for and they can't legally demand anything from you. Answer the door with a phone in your hand and start dialing the police if they keep it up, be a b*tch about it if you have to, they have no right to harrass you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

  • When I first moved into my house the phone number I got must have been a deadbeat's because I got collection calls for her all the time. I'd always say "there is no one here with that name" and they didn't believe me, but what could they do? Even five years later I'd get a call every once in a while.

    I didn't have a problem with my address, though as my house was brand new. That would be even more inconvenient!

    You can tell them to leave you alone and they must if they are calling or writing to collect a debt, but there's nothing you can do about repo guys. Hopefully they know what they are doing like the one you met up with because your stuff probably doesn't match theirs!

    Answer by MojitoMama at 9:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.