is it ok to mix...

formula and breastmilk? usually i only breastfeed but I'm starting to go out with friends a little more now, and when I try to pump I don't get that much out. So is it okay to give my LO formula also if there is no breastmilk available? (she is 2 months old)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is ok to mix :) I did it
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 5:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ps any breastmilk is better than no breastmilk
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 5:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Very good. I did that also when I started switching my daughter to cows milk too. It works great.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 6:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Also its fine to give your LO formula with no breast milk. Don't worry.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 6:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It is possible, but before you make a decision to do that on a regular basis, you might want to consider the impact that formula can have on her body. Of course there are tons of babies who do totally fine on formula - but at least be an informed consumer. :)

Here's some information I found that influenced our decision to stop offering our son formula;
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/infant-formula.html

Just FYI - we were giving my son formula with every feeding for the first 3 weeks "just because" so I'm definitely not trying to "bash" or start drama. Just wanted to share what I've learned so that you can make an informed decision.

Oh - and you could also try out different pumps as well. Some pumps work better than others, and the investment will be well worth it to buy you some more "me" time without compromising your baby's nutrition. And make sure you have the right size for your nipples - size matters.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 6:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Beware - just because you find information on the internet doesn't make it true or reliable. Most medical professionals will tell you that breastmilk is best, but formula is perfectly safe.

I will admit I have not looked at the linked site, and I am not telling you not to look. I am telling you to look at more than one (likely biased) site to make your decision.
    Anonymous