What is the difference in the medical terms...??

Family Practice?
Internal medicine?
General practice?

I just need a doctor lol and don't know how to search for one on my insurance company's website... too many options and I don't know what they mean... :)

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 6:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Health

• I would go for either General Practitioner or Family Doctor. Family doctor usually means they will see the entire family. General means they cover a wide range of things. Internal Medicine is a specialist.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Family and General are the same as far as I know. For Internal you wouldn't go for a rash, for example. This is what I found from googling:

"the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and (nonsurgical) treatment of diseases of the internal organs (especially in adults). "

Answer by Bmat at 6:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Actually, there's not a lot of difference. The best way to find a doc is to ask other people or schedule a "meet and greet" appointment with the doctor to see if you like him/her. My doc is "internal medicine" but treats my whole family for general things. Start with someone closest to home (or other logical location) and work from there. You really can't know until you meet them who is best.
    Another trick is to drop in to their office without an appointment--just to look around. See who's in the waiting room. Are they all elderly? Women? Families? Ask the staff a couple of simple questions. If they are rude to you, walk away. You can tell a lot by the waiting room and staff.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• GENERAL PRACTICE AND FAMILY PRACTICE ARE ABOUT THE SAME THING. INTERNAL MEDICINE IS A SPECIALIST AND MAY COST MORE IN COPAYS TO C ONE. HE ALSO MAY NOT B ON THE LIST TO B YOUR REGULAR DOC. THEY DO SPEND MORE TIME IN MEDICAL SCHOOL TO CARRY THAT SPECIALITY.
    IF U MUST CHOOSE A PRIMARY CARE PHYCICIAN(PCP)A FAMILY PRACTICE DOC WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE GL
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2009