Breastfeeding.............

I am breastfeeding my 11 day old very succsesfully but we have been at home since we got home from the hospital.... Anyway I was wondering do any of you just feed baby b4 you leave somewhere or do you feed them in public.... im just not very cordinated i need her boppy pillow or to be laying down and i obviously cant pack that pillow around or lay down just where ever.......... also do the baby slings help out alot?? thanks for any input

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I fed my son in public just put a blanket around me. I would invest in one of those breastfeeding shawls if you aren't coordinated enough for a regular blanket. My son ate anytime, anywhere. Try feeding before you go out see if it works if not most public places have family restrooms with an area for nursing.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 6:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Congrats on the new baby, and with breastfeeding!

Anyways, I always nursed before I left and I wore my baby in a sling when I was out and about. If I needed to nurse in public I would do it to.. I was discreet, but the baby's got to eat. If you want, pack the boppy in the car and go out there to nurse if you can, you know?

Many women can nurse in slings, or the pea pod type pouches, or wraps. I never could lol. I had a sling, and it just didn't work.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You're only 11 days in - you will soon be a pro!

Trust me - in a few months you will be able to nurse in any situation, it becomes second nature.
    It just takes practise.

It took me a while to feel comfortable enough to nurse in public (not because I felt too exposed, but because I thought I needed my cushion too) - but a few times nursing at home without the cushion gave me the practise I needed, and soon I could nurse anywhere.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I feed my son wherever and whenever he needs to be fed.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yay new baby! Learning to nurse in public definitely takes practice. Usually the people you see nursing in public are nursing their older babies (3 months-ish or older) so it looks a lot easier than it can seem when your baby is still so little.

When my son was that young, I made sure to offer him the breast before we left so that he could "tank up" and buy us as much time as possible. Then, I made sure to bring whatever I needed to feel comfortable (nursing cover, pillow, towels... it felt like a circus!), and to plan our trip around making sure we were able to stop and feed him if we needed to.

Slings are awesome! I recommend a ring sling if you're hoping to use it to nurse in public. They are the most "adjustable" and you can get baby latched and in the right position and then tighten the sling around them without disturbing their latch.

I'm excited for you! New babies are so wonderfully squishy and cute.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 6:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I breastfeed in public but not until we pretty much had it down pat so that I wasn't struggling trying to get him latched on and pull out my breast now its no big deal I have even done it walking around the store, wait until you feel ready to BF in public then you can do it until then just BF right before you go anywhere and that should give you some time to do whatever you need to
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I fed before we went and fed in public if needed. I used a sling(yes they are helpful) and a blanket.
    Heck I even breastfed in the middle of a traffic jam LOL.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• a baby that young will probably wanna eat before you go and while you're out. i carried my boppy in it's case til i was comfortable nursing without it. i hear great things about slings.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i always had great success with nursing in a sling but it does take a lot of practice!
    you should check out your local la leche league, the ladies there can give you lots of tips on babywearing and nursing in public.

i always nurse my baby before i leave the house but if(more like when, hehe) he gets hungry out i feed him then, too. i found that it's best to layer a t-shirt with a cami or spaghetti strap tanktop underneath. you'll be comfortable and covered but still have easy access for your little one.
    congrats on the new addition!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i feed him in public now, he's 6mo old, its easier after practice, but when he was younger, i would just wait in the car feeding him until he was full, then i would go do my errands or whatever, it made things easier while i got used to be descrete.. its an art i think!!
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 12:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2009