Would you?

If your 2 and 1 yo were sick and they were not suppose to be aroung your 3wk old would you try to get a relative to watch the baby for a couple days while the older ones got better. The drs are afraid that the baby will get RSV if she is around the older kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think I'd just keep the little one in a separate room and divide my time between the sick children and the baby. Washing very carefully before going in there. If it is only for a couple days that may work. The baby has already been exposed, more than likely.

Answer by Bmat at 6:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• No I wouldn't... I couldn't have a 3 week old away from home. What I would do is ensure that the two sick children stayed in their rooms and I washed my hands, etc, before touching the 3 week old. I also wouldn't bring the 3 week old into their room. I wouldn't make anyone leave the house though.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• i would ship my older kids off before my new baby
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 6:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Well my daughter is in school so you can imagian the nasty crap she brings home and I just had a baby last week and im terrifed she is gonna get sick but i really dont have anyone to watch any of them if one is sick... i dont know if i could be seperated from my 3 wk old but it might not be a bad idea..... but make sure you have lots of hand sanitizer make sure everyone is washing their hands use lots of lysol and wash things down with clorox alot !! keep baby in a seperate room from the sick kiddos thats what i would do but you do what you feel is best for YOUR baby
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I couldn't punish my older kids by sending them away. I would just be extra careful with germ-spreading, maybe try to get someone in to help you instead of sending them away, they're so young they wouldn't necessarily understand why.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 7:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Be careful, wash your hands. Keep them in seperate rooms. It doesn't take long for medicines to start working on kids, and as soon as they are on meds for 24 hrs, they aren't contageous anymore.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Knowing I have no one to turn to in that situation Id just keep them as seperated as possible. Sick ones in one room, baby in another,etc.

If I had someone I trusted who could help then I probably would ask them to watch the baby for a couple of days.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It's going to be more than a couple of days! Do the older two have RSV? If they don't have it, the baby might catch a cold...but unless it's exposed to RSV it's not going to catch that. A cold takes a couple of weeks, RSV takes a bit longer. Been there, done that...had a 5 week old in the PICU with RSV....my youngest.

No, I would not send any of my kids away. We do our best to stay "clean" (washing and sanitizing) and not breathe on anyone! lol It's pretty easy to keep the baby away from them...as mentioned by others, just keep yourself as washed as you can. Have an over shirt or something to put on for tending to either the older ones or for tending the baby...something to protect one or the other from your clothes....

There are no meds for RSV or a cold...so they are contagious as long as they area sneezing, snotting or coughing...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes... I would do whatever I had to do to keep that baby from getting RSV. My daughter had it and almost had to go on a vent and was in the hospital for a week. She choked on a mucus plug and was blue. It's no joke.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009