Is caring for kids out of your home worth it?

Is caring for kids out of your home worth it, just to stay home with your own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2012 in Money & Work

• I have done it but I didn't really like it. I love kids but I was tied down Monday-Friday and it was difficult balancing my kids needs (dr appt, school functions, etc.) It just wasn't worth the $$ to me.
    hisgirl616

Answer by hisgirl616 at 5:53 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I used to do it full time, I loved it though and i wasn't tied down all the time. I had friends that I got approval from parents so that they could either go with or stay with if I had appts. I only kept 3 at a time and I had a van sowe could do fun things like Library, amusement park etc ever so often.

Now, I only keep 2 on m/f through out the summer and then I have 2 that I keep some over the weekends and it still gives me a bit of play money at times.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• My mother kept kids my entire life growing up. She loved it and it never effected her ability to do things with me or go to my school functions. She had permissions that allowed the kids to rid in the car. She took them to the park, out to lunch, to the grocery store, to simple dr.s appt's. Just like she did with me. It was well worth the money for them. I have considered it myself.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:58 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Yes.
    jain.doh

Answer by jain.doh at 9:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• There are pros and cons. Depends on the children. Sometimes they tend to cause your child to misbehave and get into trouble unnecessarily... But, if you're really needing the extra money and feel you would ENJOY doing this, then give it a try. Don't get more than 3 children. Too many can cause extra stress on you, your child and the children you are caring for.

Even though you will be keeping them in your own home, you will be limited on what you can do around the house with extra kids there. The mothers will definitely be expecting you to care for their child... Be prepared for certain housework to go undone until later in the evening. Make sure your husband is okay with it also... He will come home very tired from work and if there are other kids in the house causing messes and fussing, it may put him in a bad mood as well.

Can you tell I've done this before? : )  Never like it myself...

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Well I'm a single mom and I don't even date after my ex, not ready yet. I do all my house work after my son goes to bed, except dishes sometimes before he wakes up. I do enjoy it, or I always did, I took child development in high school and continued it into college along with a degree in early childhood and elementary, financially I could not finish my degree and I owe so I was not able for grants, but I do plan on finishing after my debt is paid off and I get back on my feet now that my ex is no longer with us.Thanks for all that input though it helped me more.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2012