How sleep deprived were you when you had a baby? How did you deal with it?

Just curious!

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was pretty darn sleep deprived! Especially since I was the only one taking care of the baby during the night and day since my husband worked and I stayed home. How did I deal with it??? Well, I just cat napped throughout the day and breastfeeding and co sleeping really helped with the nights because I didn't have to get up and make a bottle. I remember my mom coming over once in a while too so that I could take a 2 or 3 hour nap. I'm not exactly sure how I did it...but I did! I do remember crying A LOT during those first months. :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 6:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I have a 6,3,1 and 11 day old ummmm yea im tired lol!! I just try to lay down while they are watching a movie or napping but it rarley works out!! i think my body has just gotten used to sleep deprevation!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• pre-made bottles and sleepign when he slept. mom came over once to watch baby while i slept...but it was mostly all me. i made it through somehow...with lots of crying and sleeping adn a way messy house
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 6:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I got good rest with my first son. My husband took 3 weeks off work and really helped out. With my second though, I never got sleep. my husband could only get 3 days off work and I had a 2 year old at home waiting for me. Basically, I slept when the kids slept. My older son took good naps then and I'd just go down for a nap with the new baby when he took his.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 6:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I was absolutely drained the first week with my daughter. I was like a zombie. I slept maybe six hours in total that first week, it was so horrible. Now she's a month old and I'm still extremely sleep-deprived...but I'm managing somehow. I just keep telling myself that I WILL eventually sleep eight hours straight again. It won't be for a few more months...but by god it will happen sooner or later.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I dunno dude sometimes I felt like I hadn't slept in days. You gotta just catch naps when you can. When I had my second, third, and fourth, I just got used to it more and more and I felt ok. There were times when I thought I was gonna fall out on the floor though lol
    justlikeheaven

Answer by justlikeheaven at 6:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I was so exhausted that I asked my doctor if I had postpartum depression. I was hoping he'd say that we needed to hire somebody to come in and clean or to help with the baby. But instead his advice was to sleep when the baby slept. Which didn't help considering that I had a three year old. I did get a little rest when the children were napping. But my sleep being disturbed at night was very painful. When the baby started sleeping all night my energy rebounded.

Answer by Bmat at 6:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I was pretty sleep deprived but I did maternity leave and paid family leave so I was off for a while... so what I would do is sleep when he slept. Somtimes I would have to stay up cause I had to clean or something but as soon as I was done if he was sleeping still I would cat nap... feed him when he woke up and watever had to be done while he was awake. And then caught the next nap with him the next time lol
    Bayareamommy510

Answer by Bayareamommy510 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It wasn't nearly as bad with my first as with my 2nd! The 2nd was pretty bad, I was grouchy & irritable from about 3-4 hours of sleep for SEVERAL months and even on my hubby's days off he wasn't much help because he was tired from being awakened by the crying too. I'm looking forward to some more sleepless nights this summer with our 3rd.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 6:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• pretty darned sleep deprived! I even fell asleep holding/feeding my Son sitting up on the Couch! It is all a blur now... but I am due to have another one.. and a bunch more sleepless nights any day now! What was I thinking? :)
    Anonymous