My 5 year old bumped his head now it hurts when to call the dr?

my son was going to bed last night and he was running through the hallway messing around and he ran into the closset door in the hall and hit his forhead and his knee. i gave him an ice pack and a bandaid for the little scrape on his knee. around 5 this morning he woke up crying that his head hurt, i gave him a cool wash cloth he went back to sleep and an hour later was crying again i gave him tylonal and he's still complaining. i'm more concerned because there's no bump nothing at all on his head so i don't know if he just has a headach or if i should be worried that his head hurts and there isn't a bump?

wells2811

Asked by wells2811 at 7:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2012 in Kids' Health

• It's going to hurt for a while. But if he's crying about it, that is something that I would be concerned about. By now, the pain should really be more of a dull throbbing, or like a bruise - only hurting if you press on the spot. I'd take him to the ER just to be safe. It might be that he just as a low pain tolerance for this, but I'd want to be sure.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• If he is in that much pain he is crying this many hours later, I'd call NOW or take him to the ER. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:41 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I would absolutely go to ER especially if he has woken up crying.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:45 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• It could very well be a concussion and he needs to be seen as soon as possible. An emergency room visit is needed.
    jain.doh

Answer by jain.doh at 9:17 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Head injuries are nothing to mess around with, I am more worried that he doesn't have a bump and it hurts, I would head on in.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:44 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Yes, call the doctor. Don't fool around when it comes to the head.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Keep us posted!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• going to see the doctor he now has a fever and shivering i don't know if he's sick or if it's because of hitting his head so i'll update later
    wells2811

Comment by wells2811 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Hope everything is okay.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• dr. said bring him to er prob. need cat scan. we were there for 7 hours they did no cat scan they said his symtoms had nothing to do with him hitting his head. he had a fever and chills he's shaking and won't walk he said his legs hurt. they did xray's and urine and blood tests they said there was some blood in his urine and puss on his tonsils but waiting for one test to come back so he's on an antibiotic and waiting to go see his dr. on monday. i'm still really nervous i woul have felt better if they did a cat scan to be sure. i just still don't exsactly know what's wrong with him and he's still the same right now
    wells2811

Comment by wells2811 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2012