Anyone serve on an HOA?

Just wondering if anyone serves on their HOAs & what is involved as a volunteer? Our HOA wants to double our fees from $110 a year to $240 so that they can hire a management firm to handle issues because of lack of volunteers (out of 110 owners they only had 27 attend their last HOA meeting). We are new to the neighborhood & I'd like to volunteer but don't want to commit to something & then not be able to fulfill it, so for others out there that do serve on your HOA, what does it involve? Thanks.

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 6:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I served on the BOD for a little over a year and the first thing you should know is that your dues CANNOT be raised without a VOTE by the property owners. Read your by-laws and restrictions and know them back and forth. If you want to volunteer, start by just getting involved in activities that may be offered. Every HOA is different and sponsers different activities. Also attend the board meetings as much as possible and that can give you and idea of whats going on and how things are done.
    I moved and had to resign from my BOD. It was a pain in the butt sometimes but I miss it.
    JanMarie225

Answer by JanMarie225 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2009