Associate's Degree

Why do you think it is important to have an associate's degree? (I am currently attending a 2 year college and I need to write an essay about that topic. Any ideas?

Krystle21

Asked by Krystle21 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Id say because its a start to your career path. With an AA you are showing a commitment to school and the career path youre choosing. Lets say like me I am a psych major, getting my AA was just the first step to my bachelors degree and finishing that opened up doors for new jobs, higher pay, better living conditions for me and my family, providing them things they need and want, making me feel better about myself, expanding my knowledge in my field of study, making me understand personalities and people better which is good for both personal life and work life. I would include things like that.

Answer by gemgem at 7:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Honestly an Associates or Bachelors doesn't really mean much in today's world anymore! Sad but true! I was watching a special on 20/20 ( I think) and a financial adviser made this claim! However I think an associates is better than doing nothing!
    Anonymous

• An AA is important to show that you have higher goals. Don't go too far though. I have a BA and an MS, and can't get a job. Stop while you're ahead. I'm totally not joking. I'm serious.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• That would be best answered by know why YOU want an associates degree. Education is knowlege. Knowledge is power. The power to choose your occupation, to negotiate a higher salary, to enter a four year college with a proven academic record.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would encourage you by saying your associate, bachelor's and masters are as valuable as the industry dictates. My master's in nursing gives me so many more options and earning potential. Some jobs are only filled by a bachelor's educated nurse. If you do bedside nursing in the hospital, it doesn't usually matter if you have an associate's or a PhD. You will get the same pay. In the public education system, a school nurse has to have a bachelor's. In my district, 15 more credits is worth $8,000 a year. If you want to be an early ed. teacher or a vet tech, two years is what you need to earn your pay. What field are you interested in? That will determine more precisely, why an associates is important.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• thank you all for your answers. I am pursuing a nursing career.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009