Do you feel that clothing companies are catering to larger and larger children?

I have 3 shirts (1 from each year) that are supposedly an 8/10 size. The 3rd one is 3 inches longer,and 1 1/2 wider than the 1st (all from Target)
I went to buy some shorts for my son,and the length on them came to below MY knee when I held them up to me! (an 8/10 size)
What are the skinny kids suppose to wear?
The sizes are screwy. A boy's 12/14 is wider than a men's medium!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 15, 2012 in Just for Fun

• Some might be. I've noticed the opposite. DS is average weight, but he's tall, which means he should need the "skinny" sizes. In some brands, even a regular is too tight, while in others, a regular falls off and we have to find the skinny ones.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• all manufactures sizes are different, you can buy 3 shirts from the same store different manuf. and they can all fit different.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Not that I have noticed its hard for me to find husky sizes for my one kiddo, but I have no problem with my rail thin one.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:57 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• For smaller kids, it sure seems that way. Yet the length of shorts for little girls is creeping towards Daisy Duke length.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• The sizing varies SO much. Back when my DD was born, I received some newborn-sized onesies in one brand that were too short and wide for her even when she was in the NICU. It seems like some brands are made for kids who are short and squat, some for kids who are lankier, like my DD. She still has some shorts labeled 18-24 months, and she's 5. But her size 4-5 Target-brand leggings are all short, even though they're loose and fit her like pants.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• No, they are not. I have a harder time finding clothes for my youngest who is in a husky size than my rail thin daughter. I can only get his pants at JCPenney, they are the only ones who have a husky size and they are decently priced. Have you checked to make sure he isn't in an odd sized number? My middle child is a boy and size 8 was a little too tight and a 10 fell off. Finally we had to find the few brands that make size 9. I do think they do change with trends.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 1:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• Np, what size does you ds wear I have tons of name brand skinny jeans, shoot me a pm. If I have sizes to fit yours I'll send em to ya.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:00 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• My boys are super skinny. They often outgrow clothes lengthwise long before they do waist size. They have always been this way, and it's always proven somewhat difficult to buy clothes for them - those ones with the adjustable waist are a godsend for us! lol

So I can't really say if they are catering to larger children. But given the supposed "obesity epidemic", it's possible. Heck, maybe that's the cause of the obesity epidemic - they make larger clothes, parents freak that their kids are underweight because the clothes are too big, feed them more, they end up overweight. Hmmm....

Guess I should go get a tin foil hat now, since I'm suddenly a conspiracy theorist. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I buy 18 months clothes for my 22 month old son. Where as two of my friends have kids same age as mine and they buy 24 months to 2T !!
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2012

• My kids like to wear clothes big. My son wears enormous basketball shorts. I've bought him men's sizes since he was 11. And he was tiny. Super short and skinny. I think they are just trying to cut the clothes the way kids like.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:08 AM on Jun. 15, 2012