For an annual income of say 30-40,000, what do you think is the ideal family size?

TeenieWeenie

Asked by TeenieWeenie at 7:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends on which city you live in. Here in Seattle, that's low-income and could support yourself and possibly one child but it would be super tight.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It depends on where you live. I live in a small town in NC so that would be middle class here because the cost of living is low. I have also lived in VA and that would be low income there. Its hard to gage not knowing what area of the country and town you live in.

Answer by gemgem at 7:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It depends on the cost of living in the area. I believe a person should never choose to live outside his or her own means. (Falling on hard times is a different story)
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 7:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My friend wants to move to California, but she has one daughter and expecting another child in a few months. I told her it might be best to stay in Ga. until after she finishes college, but she's in a rush. That's why I asked. Thx
    TeenieWeenie

Answer by TeenieWeenie at 7:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I couldn't live off that alone, just me, unless I didn't own a home and never wanted to. The city I live in has a higher cost of living though. Not sure where you live or what the cost of living is though.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 7:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• we used to make that a long time ago and barely got by with just one kid.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• For the area I live in, that is middle class and you could support parents and 2 children on that income.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it would depend on where you live.. I live in NY and you could support yourself/hubby and a child or two. But I know plenty of families that have had 4 kids and lived off that, however not very comfortable. But if you lived in NYC that would be a totally different story, you wouldn't be able to even really support yourself there. I live in western NY. Right now though any money or job is a good thing around here. lol. We are hurting pretty bad.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Some would say you couldn't afford children, others would say a half dozen. It depends on where you live and your life style. I would say two at the most without knowing the answers to those questions. If you are comfortable with one child, great. If not, two at the most. IMO, that salary would cover the basics to live if you know how to budget and you live a simple lifestyle. I wouldn't recommend anyone go by income though. Income goes up and unfortunately, down. Children are priceless.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• We waited till my husband made 60k before we had our son. For us that amount was not enough. Depends on the people and how they want to live.

Anonymous