• In the Spotlight:

What do you do to prepare for Winter Storms?

We are expecting another Major storm to blow through here on Monday & Tuesday. 84,442 people were still without power here in Ohio last night. There are SEVERAL things I do to prepare for a storm.. I will list a few...but I want to know what others do to prepare in hopes that I can get some good tips that maybe I hadn't thought about.

I make sure there is plenty of food,.....easy things to make incase of the power going out. Sandwich fixins...chips, LOTS of fruit, canned foods, and I bake lots of meals and put them into foil pans so if the power does go out for awhile we can always heat the pans of lasagna, Taco Casserole, etc up on the grill. Lots of WATER, juices, snacks for DD, Portable DVD charged with Xtra battery, lanterns, heaters, blankets, all of the Laundry in the house done and put away. Can opener..lol..the handheld kind that way we can cooked canned foods on the stovetop side of the grill. Cont..

MyMayBaby_Chloe

Asked by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 7:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So,......what do you do to prepare for Winter Storms??? (I put this under Current Events...didnt know where else to put it. LOL)
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 7:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Sharpen up the skis, and buy French Toast supplies...milk, bread, eggs!!! LOL!

No, seriously, we live in eastern PA, but I'm a native Bostonian, so Nor-Easters don't phase me much! Since we have young children we have PLENTY of non-perishables and snacks on hand that we could survive on for a couple of WEEKS, and we have a propane grill with two tanks, so there's really no need to prepare meals ahead of time. We also live about a 1/2 mile from our electric company, and "civilization" (grocery store, gas station), etc. and live along a major school bus route...so even if we lose power it's always up and running again in a few hours, and our roads are plowed immediately--both city and privately--just about everyone around here has a truck with a plow attachment!

Good Luck though! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Smart moves with the food.

We invested in a generator a few yrs ago not big but helpful.We also use oil lamps not only for the light but they do put out a decent amount of heat too.

Of course we have several flashlights too and comfty warm blankets.

praying for you and those who have been without power.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Lots of salt for the ice! My hub gets the snowblower ready and parks it at the front of the garage. I do what you do reagarding for and supplies. We have a coal stove we can use if we don't have heat so we stock some cool.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I am VERY use to several feet of snow..... where I grew up it was nothing to get 3-4 feet of snow in a matter of a day or 2. I guess I worry more now because I have a 2 year old. Before when I was younger it was fantastic. We would all go up to SnowShoe party and ski for weeks on end. LOL! Oh man those were the days..... Here it seems that if there is 2 inches of snow outside they shut EVERYTHING down...and I mean everything. LOL. It's crazy. So I just like to be prepared EARLY i guess.
    Thanks for the tips so far........... just looking for new ideas I guess. LOL
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 7:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Oh and I went to 9 places today looking for salt, NONE ANYWHERE!!!! What a pain!!! They know the ice storms we get along the Ohio River......seriously order more inventory allready. LOL
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 7:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• 1- make sure we have enough gas for the generator. For the just in cases.
    2- bring in wood for the wood stove in the living room
    3- make sure their are plenty of blankets ready downstairs(because if the power goes out that's where we will all be sleeping)
    4-make sure their are enough foods like soups/canned/ etc. (we have a gas stove, so it just takes a lighter to cook on the stove, or the wood stove if we are desparate and the kitchen stove won't light, worse case we have a camping stove that take little propane tanks that work)
    5- plenty of candles/flashlights/batteries
    6-board games come out. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• lol, i hear you about getting a lot of snow. We live near Buffalo, NY so we are use to it. Oct. storm was bad for us. lol. I got stuck at work (worked midnights) and had to drive my little escort home. We had teams of people from work that drove together to make it home.. it's not too encouraging when you are trying to drive home and you see 3 snow plows in a ditch throughout your drive home and all you have is a little four banger. lmao. But I made it... surprisingly. lol. I forgot to add about the snowplow too.. we make sure to have that ready.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Absolutely nothing, except making sure the snowblower is gassed up.  I live in Canada, winter storms are a fact of life for 6 months of the year.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Make sure the kid's snowpants are washed and dried so he'll stop whining.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2009