my 3 yr old refuses to potty train. tried many different things. any other suggestions

newmamaof3

Asked by newmamaof3 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• let it go. he or she will potty train when they are ready. Read cute picture books about potty trainning and wait. My oldest potty trained on his own at 3 1/2yrs and my 2nd child a boy potty trainned at 21mo. Let your child take the lead on this one
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Naked from the waist down. My son hated peeing on his feet. Only did it once. Once he got used to going to the potty when he needed to pee, I put just underwear on. About a week later he graduated to actually being able to wear pants and still use the potty.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 9:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• When both of my boys started showing intrest in using the potty I took them to the store. They got to pick out their own "big boy underwear" that way they would be really excited about them. When we put them on them I told them that they couldn't go potty in their "special underwear" otherwise they couldn't wear them. After about a week they were totally potty trained. We hardly have any accidents. I hope this helps some.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• What helped me when my 3 yro DD wouldn't potty train was I took 3 days I didn't go to work on Friday and Friday morning I told her ok we're throwing away you pull-ups got out the trash bag and had her put them in the bag then outside in the trash bin. I put her on the potty every 1/2hr every time she went she got a piece of "candy" fruit snacks. ( u can use anything) She still had a few accidents but she was potty trained in a 2 days.
    I also had her pick out her own "Big Girl Underwear" before I started this because I didn't take her anywhere that weekend.
    When she was potty trained we went and bought her a new toy as big congratulations.
    TeresaJones5

Answer by TeresaJones5 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Getting rid up the pull-ups helped us, there was less confusion on the childs part, now it was never OK to pee in his pants. Before I would let him go around with nothing then put a pull up on him when we went out, then when we go home I'd try real underware and he would just pee in them.
    Staying home for a few days and putting regular underware on and taking him to the potty frequently helped. Really it was sticking to the plan and not giving in and putting pull ups on him, because then we had to start all over again. It totally sucked for about a month, but one month is better than being frustrated for 6 months.
    If you have a boy, giving him a target in the potty and letting him think of it as a game could help. My son is 3 and loves to do that now, wish I had tried it earlier. They sell pee targets at baby stores or you could use cheerios or something like that.
    LisaUpte

Answer by LisaUpte at 2:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009