Lab akita mix

any one have one? if so how are they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2012 in Pets

• Lab's are wonderful with kids- we have a pure bred lab. They usually get to 80 lbs at most, although ours is 115 and not fat at all. Labs are well known as family dogs and are high energy. Akita's are large, strong, territorial dogs. They are known to be good with families but very difficult to train and very headstrong. It comes down to a couple things: Meet the puppy's parents and assess their temperament- are they what you're looking for in a dog? How old are your children? Older children will be better with an Akita mix because they are able to be more dominant and aid in training. Younger children may be seen as lower status to the dog, which puts them in danger. Lastly, are you an experienced dog owner ready for a loving, challenging, high energy dog? They require lots of walking and training. They are a serious commitment but well worth it if you have the time and energy.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I've done tons of dog training and stuff I've just never dealt with an akita before. The puppy seems super sweet and is 4 1/2 weeks old so we still have some time to decide but the kids love him my oldest is 4 and a 2 year old and 3 month old all very well behaved and raised around all sorts of animals their whole life. They are gentle with them. My lab is going through a depression right now (not eating or playing at all) after having to put our dane down so we want a high energy (since that's all this house is lol) dog to hopefully bring her spirits and appetite back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• My husband has a black lab named Jenny. She is a great dog but labs can be annoying without proper training. I've never had an Akita and I don't know much about the breed. I know that they are great guard dogs and I understand that they are friendly.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2012

• We own an Akita/Lab, she is now 2 years and 3 months. She is a lovely dog. i have a 12 yr old at home and 2 grandchildren that come over all the time, we also have a cat and a 3lb chihuahua. she is very gentle and trains very well. I have noticed on walks that she is very protective of my son when he is walking her but different when i am walking her. I do have to be careful when she is around smaller dogs like poodles etc as her hunt/retrieve instinct takes over if they are running. She is a very gentle,loving dog and i wouldnt trade her for the world.....they need to be stimulated mentally and physically as both breeds are a working dog.
    I had a severe hesitation to getting a large dog due to a bad experience as a child but my son really wanted a dog he could play with (hard with a 3lb chihuahua) i researched and decided on this mix and have never regreted my decision. we get compliments on how nice she is
    Wranglergurl

Answer by Wranglergurl at 1:45 AM on Aug. 12, 2013