how do I stop my 22 month old from throwing a crying fit at night?

my daughter is 22 months old. she has recently started waking up every night around the same time, 4 am, and starts screaming. at first we thought she was just having a nightmare but she is fully awak e. we have tried everything to get her to stop but nothing seems to work. this crying fit can last up to an hour. if you know of anything we can try to make the fits stop or even calm her down faster please let me know . im 6 1/2 months pregnant and my fiance and I would like to try to stop this before the new baby comes.

ctatianaj

Asked by ctatianaj at 7:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• PATIENCE! Hope it's a phase that will slow quickly. Sadly, but I really don't know if anyone can understand whats going on. (unless you go deep and have her evaluated.) I would just stay calm, sooth her, soothing music. Im not sure. Never experienced this before. SORRY
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 7:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• There is nothing you can do but comfort comfort comfort.

Stick a sponge/inflatable matress - or even some big cushions on the floor in her room and either you or your husband could go lay wth her and cuddle until she's ready to go back to sleep.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Have you ever used white noise? We've used it with the twins since they were 12wks old. They're 26 mos now and on the rare occasion that they wake like that at 4a.m. we put the white noise on for them and that usually helps them go back to sleep.
    As tough as it may be you may want to just let her cry it out. It's hopefully just a phase and she'll grow out of it sooner rather than later if you leave her be. If after a few days she's continuing this pattern, then try going to her and rubbing her back to settle her back down but don't bring her into bed with you because that'll be a really hard habit to break!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I relate to you. Im desperate to help myselp too. my daughter is 24 months and she does the same ting. I also have a new born and its really hard. its hard to have patient too. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
    hmomr

Answer by hmomr at 8:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It actually sounds like a night terror. This is what a night terror is like (my oldest has them, although not often, maybe once every couple of weeks, more if he's under stress): They seem wide awake, are sitting bolt upright, and just screaming bloody murder. They don't respond to anything, in fact, any effort to calm them usually seems to make it worse. Then, it's over as quickly as it starts, and they lay down and are sound asleep again. The child will have no memory of it come morning.
    Is that what is happening?
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• it is common. my son did that every night until about 18 months or so. he still does it sometimes.
    it doesnt matter if you are pregnant. you choose to become a mom of 2. I had both that never slept and both scream. you have quite a rude awakaing
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would say she probably wakes up and realizes its dark (does she have a nightlight?) my sister used to have the same problem. My daughter does very well with her "seahorse" its good for her to cuddle with and if shes scared she can push its belly and it plays quiet music and lights up. Try that. Here is a picture of a baby with it i found online. (even my sister who is almost 3 loves it!)

http://s2.thisnext.com/media/130x130/EB8433B6.jpg
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I know how you feel I was 7 months pregnant and had to let my 9 month old dd cry-it-out so that we could get her to sleep in her crib before our second baby came. Now she and my son both sleep in their own cribs (in the same room though) and my daughter has been having night terrors for the last two or three months it only happens once every week or two and it is heartbreaking, if I open the door to go comfort her it really does scare her even more. If I were in your spot I would ask the doctor's advice and in the mean-time give her some tylenol or something to help her sleep a little harder, also do you have a solid bedtime routine? I know when something is missing from ours my kids take longer to go to bed, sleep lighter and wake up more often. Hope it helps a little...good luck :)
    badd_kitten

Answer by badd_kitten at 12:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• BEEN THERE!! and still am. My daughter is 2/12 and has had night terrors since she is about 15 months. I was also prego...not easy!

There really isn't anything you can do...from what I've read and her Dr.s...the best thing to do is try and comfort them (which didn't work for me...made it worse) I would let her cry it out (trust me...can take hours) but what did work sometimes is putting on the TV. She would focus on that and calm down.

I wish I could give you sometyhing better to go on...but it really is a hard battle.
    juliecoolie

Answer by juliecoolie at 7:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• thanks for all the advice. it does sound like night terrors. the comforting doesn't work but makes it worse. letting her cry it out seems to be the only thing that has worked so far. the next thing to do is ask her doctor. thanks again for the advice.
    ctatianaj

Answer by ctatianaj at 5:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2009